Hydration bladder vs bottle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

It seems that MTBers love hydration bladders, where as road bikers use bottles only. I'm curious as to why? I've got both types of bike, and follow both methods above, however I'm toying with the idea of using the hydration bladder on my road bike for some touring, it adds a little storage to my kit and leaves a bottle cage free for stashing stuff in. Any specific reasons that road bikers don't use bladders? Is it simple aerodynamics or something like that?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Sweaty back? Going further and faster on a roadbike, and also less likely to be out in a wood with no access to water to refill bottles? Do what suits you, doesn't matter what others prefer

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Sweaty back? Going further and faster on a roadbike, and also less likely to be out in a wood with no access to water to refill bottles? Do what suits you, doesn't matter what others prefer
I thought it may be something that simple. The tour I'm planning with the camping stuff is only 30-40 miles in a day so pace will be steady etc, don't think a sweaty back will cause any real issues.

sidevalve

Über Member
Yes it can. If the sun is hot [ok not too often I admit] it can be a real pain in the a--e [sorry back] - that's why I stopped using any form of backpack, but each to his own. Plus if you get off for a look around during the ride [and why else go touring] what do you do with it

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I thought it may be something that simple. The tour I'm planning with the camping stuff is only 30-40 miles in a day so pace will be steady etc, don't think a sweaty back will cause any real issues.

Yes it can as @sidevalve said.
My commute is 17 miles each way. I have a backpack with the day's clothes (not shoes) and my lunch and am not one of these people who seem to perspire just by sitting still, as soon as the thermometer goes beyond 15C.
Sweaty shoulders pretty much every journey to and from home, even through winter. And sweaty back on days the thermometer even starts to sniff double figures.

heist

I am the same as you, I have a mountain bike and a road bike. I personally feel uncomfortable doing longer distances with a bag, hydration bladder or too much in the back of my jersey, but its personal preference. If you are comfortable riding with it, go for it. As you say, its handy having the extra storage pocket too.

Citius

Bottles on an MTB are more likely to rattle about & jump out, they also get covered in dirt around the mouthpiece so a bladder is more convenient although it can be a bit debilitating when its warm.

Pretty much every XC racer carries bottles, not hydration packs. Assuming a half decent cage and a correctly placed bottle, there is practically no chance of the bottle rattling out.

Top Bottom