I don't care anymore.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Up to now, I have always tried to keep up with other cyclists when I get passed because I like the competitiveness of it. No more!! From now on, I will go at my own pace regardless of other people's speed.
I did 40 mile ride this morning ( 3 hours) and made the mistake to try and keep up with two guys who passed me. I managed it for a bit but as soon as a hill came up I was dropped as I am very slow on hills.
So I made the decision there and then to just do my own speed from now on and that is that.
So if you are faster than me ( and most people are) , good luck to you and if you are slower ( very few are) then I shall be content but I won't compete ever again.
I enjoy my cycling just for myself as I ride solo all of the time and it will stay that way.:bicycle:
A bon entendeur, salut

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't do Strava then. Ahem. Enjoy.

potsy

Rambler
I'm the exact same as the op, no interest in scalping or anything.
That was until last week when I signed up for strava, I think it could kill me :surrender:

What's the point?

I've had younger, fitter riders pass me all the time and have tried to keep up to but no avail.
All it does is tire you out quicker.

I'm like you gavroche, billy no mates so has long as i've enjoyed my ride who cares.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm the same. I read other poster's stories of long rides, see the MCL tickers in their signature and somehow manage to turn it into a massive pissing contest inside my own head. Does it all really matter as long as I get out on my bike and enjoy it whether it's the piddly 7 miles I did yesterday or the 100ish over last weekend?

Ah, don't knock it. If we as humans being didn't have that chase instinct, then there wouldn't be races, wouldn't be competitions, probably wouldn't have been Olympics and I wouldn't have had all my holiday banned for July...

Dammit.

RhythMick

Über Member
Depends on your definition of "most people" - 13mph isn't actually all that slow.

Anyway, that's not important. You're absolutely right. It's not a race. Unless it is a race...

d.
I managed the Lincoln GP 63 miler at the weekend (wish they'd stop calling it the short route) averaging 13 mph and was VERY happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I was followed for 9 miles this morning really put me off my ride, would have rathered they overtook me! Headwind too..

Strava is deadly, joint 11th out of 98 on my steepest hill, I was sad enough to subscribe just to get the by age leaderboard, KOM by age out of 11 lol

The only problem about Strava is its so good, it makes me want to subscribe, when I really, really shouldn't - I'll get no benefit other than the chance of a little bit more 'smugness' if it helps me top another board somewhere, or the exact opposite if I find I'm bottom!

User269

Up to now, I have always tried to keep up with other cyclists when I get passed because I like the competitiveness of it. No more!! From now on, I will go at my own pace regardless of other people's speed.
I did 40 mile ride this morning ( 3 hours) and made the mistake to try and keep up with two guys who passed me. I managed it for a bit but as soon as a hill came up I was dropped as I am very slow on hills.
So I made the decision there and then to just do my own speed from now on and that is that.
So if you are faster than me ( and most people are) , good luck to you and if you are slower ( very few are) then I shall be content but I won't compete ever again.
I enjoy my cycling just for myself as I ride solo all of the time and it will stay that way.:bicycle:
A bon entendeur, salut
..............until the next time :evil:

Top Bottom