I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I for one haven't used 'perfume' since I was about 19 so for over 40 years far preferring the aroma of 'Wrights Coal Tar Soap'

I like the smell of coal tar soap. I also like the smell of creosote paint. I've often thought they should make a creosote smelling men's fragrance. Sadly they don't, but they do make a coal tar soap oil which you could dab on yourself to get that coal tar sniff all day.

00ml-Coal-Tar-Fragrance-Oil-Digital-Bottle-510x510.jpg

https://www.freshskin.co.uk/product..._pa_volume=50ml&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpc-oBhCGARIsAH6

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Though reading this, maybe it's best not to put that oil on your skin!:unsure:

Why is coal tar soap banned in the EU?

WHY has coal tar shampoo, standby for psoriasis and eczema ...

In 2000, the European Commission's Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers said using coal tar in shampoo had an 'unacceptable high risk of skin cancer'.4 Mar 2014

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I read through a policy document at work today (Aldi) regarding 'stock protection' (AKA shoplifting), and it stated that a member of staff should only approach a customer and ask if they can check their bags if they are certain a theft has taken place... so the scenario @Oldhippy described in the OP with a cashier checking everybody's bags isn't an Aldi policy (I'm not saying it didn't happen), at least not in my region.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Interesting @MontyVeda the cashier was adamant and even offered to get a manager. I declined thinking I'd be fed the same line but may go back and take up the offer having seen your post.

MontyVeda

Interesting @MontyVeda the cashier was adamant and even offered to get a manager. I declined thinking I'd be fed the same line but may go back and take up the offer having seen your post.

it was a new document we're all supposed to read by the end of next month. Maybe it's been rolled out after events such as the one you witnessed occurred?

Drago

Legendary Member
Shoplifters tend to fill their bags (or jacket) with stock and walk out the store. Sometimes they'll pay for a few item.
Baggers are well in the minority. Any thief worth their salt quickly progresses well past that to far more effective methods of selection and concealment. Hell, they're not even bothering all that much with concealment any more.

I've put enough tea leaves in front of a court over the years, and relatively few were baggers because it has a short shelf life. It went out of fashion in the 90s. It happens, but its minority stuff. You'll be telling us next that foil lined shopping bags are still in widespread use.

Jackets (or poacher pockets or trousers) on the other hand is much more prevalent, but strangely no jacket searches are taking place.

These store searches aren't deterring anyone from doing naughty stuff. They're simply pithing off normal folk,

MontyVeda

Baggers are well in the minority. Any thief worth their salt quickly progresses well past that to far more effective methods of selection and concealment. Hell, they're not even bothering all that much with concealment any more.

The baggers scoop an entire shelf full of stock into a bag and leave. They dont care who sees them because they know there's little we can do. That may be a minority but they're taking a lot more stock in one go than ten or twenty tea leaves with a bottle of vodka or leg of lamb down their pants.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The baggers scoop an entire shelf full of stock into a bag and leave. They dont care who sees them because they know there's little we can do. That may be a minority but they're taking a lot more stock in one go than ten or twenty tea leaves with a bottle of vodka or leg of lamb down their pants.

I do wonder why Aldi do not use security tags on their spirits etc.

MontyVeda

we do in our store; all spirits and steaks and expensive wines... power tool batteries, specials over £50ish... I sometimes wonder if we spend more on tags and those magnetic stickers and the time spent putting them on than we actually loose in stock

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
They put security tags on expensive meat cuts in my local Aldi (Rutherglen, Glasgow), not always though.
I remember buying steaks with no security tags.
Not sure about their alcohol because I don't buy it, but power tools and batteries don't have a security tag.

Fastpedaller

We had a weird experience at Morrisons filling station (St Ives Cambs) a couple of months back.......... Their petrol and diesel pumps were still working, but a member of staff was walking around saying anyone buying fuel had to go to the kiosk (which was my Wife's plan anyway). They said the card machine wasn't working so everyone had to leave their details and come back in an hour (assuming the machine would work by then. My Wife gave details and said "We are on our way to Shropshire, we can't stop on the off-chance the machine will work again, but you can take the card details". 'not acceptable' they said, 'if you don't come back the Police will be told and you'll be arrested' it's probably good I was still in the car otherwise I'd have called the Police myself, claiming aggressive behaviour and threat to imprison :laugh: Anyway, one guy offered cash, they refused to take it. Another offered to go to the store (a short walk) and he would pay there. Not acceptable! I said we should put in a formal complaint, my wife avoids conflict even if she is correct.
What a way to treat customers. Fortunately within about 5 minutes the machine was working again. We understand it happens fairly regularly there - you'd expect them to have some back-up measures. But their attitude wasn't good.

Top Bottom