I paid full price at Planet X!! :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I use Jack Brown Mile Muchers as my commute tyre, these are made by Panaracer, have a decent life, very good puncture resistance and are mid priced.

In the past Planet X have discounted them every few months, down from £25 to around £15, but if they have done so under the new owners it was for a very short period of time and I missed it. :smile:

In a way this is a good thing, pretty much everything that I have seen discounted recently is either stuff that it appears they can't shift or Sports Direct type "discounts". So it appears that they have given up on loss leaders as people like me only buy them, making them losses and not leaders.

I say that it is a good thing as it means they may be able to stay in business, but they also appear to be following Ribble in pushing up the price of their products and cutting back on low value essentials and components. So I am expecting these tyres to disappear soon as well, as it is their own brand there is probably a contract for their supply still in force so they can't go overnight.

The Black Friday sale items seem to be mostly the same items that they have been discounting for a while, but they did have some Panaracer inner tubes at a clearance type price, although not marked as such.

Bye

Ian

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You paid full price, hah hah hah

Nice

how do they compare to Schwalbe Marathons for puncture protection?

I have marathons - well one on the back and a Continental on the front - but the front one will need changing soon (well - after winter probably) and some options might be a good idea rather than just going for Marathon

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It does look like the new owner is focusing on bikes and clothing, rather than the odd range the previous owner collected from their travels over the years.

That core focus helps, but in the process of losing the 'odd/strange' parts supply there are some gems that'll be missed. These tyres are one of those and I hope someone'll pick up the rights to production.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So I am expecting these tyres to disappear soon as well, as it is their own brand there is probably a contract for their supply still in force so they can't go overnight.
If you really like those tyres, get a couple of pairs now, then another couple of pairs when they go to their final end of line price.
That's what I would do :smile:

Good morning,
...... how do they compare to Schwalbe Marathons for puncture protection? .......
They are very different beasts, I would describe them as endurance race tyres rather rather than endurance touring tyres. I get around 3,000 miles out of a rear tyre which I regard as good considering the tread pattern, I know that Mararthons/Randonneurs would regard this as just wearing off those loose bits from the mould but I don't like the feel.

Since using them I haven't had a puncture caused by anything penetrating the tyre. I have the 25mm ones and I get the occasional pinch flat when I hit a big something in the road, I did consider not doing that but good intentions......

I also tend to change inner tubes every second tyre so that I don't get punctures caused by the tyre abrading the tube.

..... tyres are one of those and I hope someone'll pick up the rights to production.....
I would be surprised if Planet X buy enough to justify a fully custom product so one of the Panaracer own brand tyres may very well be the same thing anyway, just a few quid more.

If you really like those tyres, get a couple of pairs now, then another couple of pairs when they go to their final end of line price.
That's what I would do :smile:
A couple of pairs, :smile: I regard three months as a good life for a rear tyre, (I was only getting 2 months from Halfords own brand) and a tad more for the front so it would be more like a couple of dozen tyres!

I live in a relatively small place and much of my spare storage space is already full up with stuff I bought for the future, e.g. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-i-must-think-before-i-bid-online-thread.293995/#post-7089870 I now have enough locks that I can lock up my locks.

Added to which I will spill paint or battery acid over half them before I get to use them.:laugh:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
I bought stuff of Planet X years ago and they are still sending me marketing Spam constantly, particularly after their take over. I've tried unsubscribing lots of times but they keep on coming. The last time I said I'd report them to Ofcom if it happened again. Guess what it did, so the are reported :-/

Top Bottom