I think I'm going back to college.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
I'm a bit shocked, I got an unconditional offer to study Horticulture at a local university, applied for a student loan thinking I wouldn't get anything after my Archaeology degree but they said yes.

I think I might be on the right track here, 35 years old not knowing what I wanted to do and farming was the answer. Oh well no more wasted days after this. :laugh: I'm still shocked, but looking forward to starting the course in September.

Well done, Gromit! It'll be great fun. :laugh:

Where will you be studying and how long is the course?

I was 35 when I went back to school and had a laugh at the same time as getting a good degree.

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Retire, I suppose.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Its a 2 year foundation degree at Askham Bryan college in York, I already have a BSc in Archaeology so hopefully I will work a bit more at this one. Can't wait.

timmcp

Good luck Gromit, I went back to college to do a 2 year full time course, although I ummed and arghed about it for a few months and with 2 kids and the OH it was particularly difficult decision. But I had always wanted to do it..........I am glad I did now had an excellent time and I was 32 when I started the course!

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
User1314 said:
I was tempted by archaeology once. Not much cop?

Not a job I'd like to do, its really boring, competitive and jobs are hard to come by. I like growing and making things now instead of finding things that other people have made.

Bigtwin

User1314 said:
I was tempted by archaeology once. Not much cop?

Great if you want your career in ruins from the off.

martinarchtech

college

architectural technology degree

i returned to college in 2006 ,aged 36 yrs, completed 2 yrs certificate course, this year completed degree course .... passed with distinction.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
i am starting back in september for 4 th year, honours degree. it has been an extremely difficult 3 years so far but have really enjoyed pursuing a profession i will be happy at ..... except for the recession in our industry at the moment. i know when work picks up again i have the ambition and drive to look to the future :biggrin:

best decision career wise i have done so far

best of look with it

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
Not a job I'd like to do, its really boring, competitive and jobs are hard to come by. I like growing and making things now instead of finding things that other people have made.

Hmm, I think 'boring' is in the eye of the beholder (after all, Haskins has stuck at it!), but you're right about the competition. That's what's put me off, in academic terms... That, and having a mid life crisis.

Anyway, well done on the offer, I'm sure you'll love it. Baggsy some chops from your first pig. (I know, that's not horticulture, but I know one day Gromit will be doing the smallholding thing)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Reminds me of that quote of Dorothy Parker when asked to make a statement with horticulture in it:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you cannot make her think."

Top Bottom