I think this could really save lives...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru

I am completely unconvinced. I often deliver lectures with a laser pointer. I often have to dull the lights in the room to make the laser pointer sufficiently visible. The laser pointer is a single beam and after a month using about 30 mins a day, it will need new batteries. Transfer these problems to a bike:
it will not work in bright sun
it will need lots of batteries

Finally, apart from a cyclist, who looks at the tarmac at that short distance? A motorist's eyes will be much higher scanning for issues in the middle distance and off the surface of the road.

So I think it is not so brilliant.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry I think it's a completely rubbish idea.
There was also a rear version, red light showing a cycle lane a while back.

And agree with Gavin. It's not something that a motorist will easy see.

There are myriad safety problems with that system. The potential for it to be misaligned and shining in a motorists eyes or reflecting back off a piece of shiny metal on the road is myriad. There are fairly strict limits on lasers because of their potential to blind and I doubt you would get a green laser that both met the safety regulations and was visible in daylight at the same time.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What will they think up next.... [apologies if this has been posted elsewhere]

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cartech/lasermade-bike-lane-could-save-lives-20110615-1g2oi.html

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This was posted in a news article on the Bournemouth Echo website about a month ago iirc. Drew a lot of negative moronic comment on there.

There are no quick fixes in providing safety for cyclists. Learn the road skills, use proper lights at night, provide decent facilities - this is the "triple" we should all be aiming for.

Give the kid a break, it might not be the answer we are looking for on the front of a bike but it may have other uses on a bike. Good luck to the Lass I just wish I was bright enough to think of something like it. It is just a pity she has to go to the States to progress further, because she is the sort of person we want in this country.

Top Bottom