I want to know...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Why cardrivers act / drive soo defensively.

When they have THE most protection around them 'cept for the Batman car.

I feel they mostly do it to cyclists.

WHY :biggrin:

Are the majority of car drivers thick, stupid, not of the level of inteligence to manouvre a 'weapon' around the streets.

Having been cycling now for '20yrs' i cannot believe it still goes on.

Somethings got to change as the atmosphere on the road is like 'lets cure the problem' rather than 'prevent it'.

Alot of lives would be helped and saved thru this type of mentality.

luplowe

a lot of drivers don't recognize cyclists as fellow rd users. they just see them as pests and they want you out the way

col

Legendary Member
I suppose it could be likened to having pedestrians using the roads and holding us up,there would bound to be some who wouldnt be pleased about it?

How about we get all car drivers to cycle from one side of london to the other as part of the driving test.
I think they are the same to other car drivers but they see us as lower down the pecking order of the road so try to dominate the road.
This is why so many of the twats go and get stonking great 4x4s so they can intimidate normal size car drivers as they do bikes.

I cycle on main roads when I have to and they are real sods there- not giving any space and carrying on like we are not there.
But as soon as you get them on a slow narrow lane where we are doing about the same speed and they are close up and get eye contact they are all nice and generally give room and are helpful.

I do not think we can change them. So really all we can do is lower our expectations of them.

Noodley

Over The Hill said:
...see us as lower down the pecking order of the road so try to dominate the road.

...so they can intimidate...

I am confused as to why this is "defensive". ;):biggrin:

Noodley

Rhythm Thief said:
There's nothing wrong with driving defensively. It simply means avoiding getting oneself into trouble...

That's why I was asking what yenners was meaning.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
To me, defensive driving is watching out for what other road users are doing, or might be anticipated to do, and ensuring I can avoid conflict with them. I drive defensively all the time.

Noodley

Ben Lovejoy said:
To me, defensive driving is watching out for what other road users are doing, or might be anticipated to do, and ensuring I can avoid conflict with them. I drive defensively all the time.

Me too.

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
Me three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which should also apply to cycling. We have 3 people agreeing so it's now law (according to my law of 3 people agreeing on one thread)

Bigtallfatbloke

Car drivers are a bunch of murderous low life scum intent on killing cyclists. I have no time for them. Never a day goes past when I am not harrassed by these vermin.

Top Bottom