1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IAM poll on sharing the road

Discussion in 'Research and Questionnaires' started by downfader, 6 May 2012.

1. downfader

downfader Über Member

http://www.iam.org.uk/policy-and-re...oad-motorists-motorcyclists-that-are-cyclists

The IAM are looking for contributions in their latest poll to see how motorists and cyclists share the road. They are also asking why those that do ride on pavements or through red lights to tell them why. This is slightly better a poll than the last cycling one they did so if everyone could share it about and contribute perhaps a reasonable picture can be built.
  2. ACS

ACS Über Member

Advert
    done
  3. gaz

gaz Cycle Camera TV

I see the current majority on question 8 are saying 'I jump red lights because it is safer to get ahead of other traffic'

Is that the safest thing to do?
  4. downfader

downfader Über Member

We are still in the minority even for our modal share, Gaz. Most cyclists wont or dont campaign ...or read up on the research and stats. It is our responsibility in my view to share this information as much as we can to avoid such perceptions. I've managed to get Silly Cyclists mentioned in a couple of letters to newspapers down here in the hope of spreading safety (as well as mentioning to join the CTC/BC and look up the cycling forums).

You're doing good work, Gaz. Perception is sadly everything when it comes to road use.
    gaz likes this.
  5. gaz

gaz Cycle Camera TV

Thanks, gotta say I can't do it without the help of all the other cyclists. even the bad ones.
  6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Loose member.

7. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

8. 400bhp

400bhp Veteran

I do wonder what the purpose of this poll is. It is particularly loaded to the opinion that cycling is seen as a dangerous/undesireable activity.

e.g.

9. rvw

rvw Senior Member

It's fascinating that a very large majority of respondents claimed, as motorists, not to encroach on the advance stop lines, but a slightly larger majority had witnessed this frequently. Clearly it's all the other folks who are doing things wrong!
  10. downfader

downfader Über Member

Too late. Most people will not cycle for those very fears. The current infrastructure leads to consternation and we've hovered around the 2% modal share for nearly 30 years. We can try all we might to say how safe it is but most just wont believe us.

There is a risk of Kruger-Dunning or confirmation bias in these things... it can only ever provide a sample or infer where things have to be investigated more (just as with last years famous 56% in the Sustrans poll who were scared to cycle)
  11. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Über Member

Guessing you have to be member of IAM to see the results? Or am I being truly and terminally thick and missing something ...... cos I can't find them!
  12. downfader

downfader Über Member

No, they release interim results at times... the main results get put up about a month after the poll closes.
  13. 400bhp

400bhp Veteran

Not sure what your point is, or what you thought I was referring to?
  14. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Trouble is, most drivers share the road the way my Labrador shares a bone...
  15. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

16. SquareDaff

SquareDaff Über Member

17. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Since it's being used as a cyclist-bashing exercise by a motoring organisation, I shan't bother.
    I know, I know, who'd have thought it?
  18. snorri

snorri Guru

Perhaps the next IAM survey will tell us how many drive cars on the pavement :whistle:, and how many consider the pavement to be a legit car parking area.:angry:
  19. GilesM

GilesM Veteran

Exactly, just another survey to appeal to those that have decided that motor vehicles and cyclists can't possible use the same roads, hence for the question:
    6. As a cyclist, what do you feel most frustrated by when cycling on the road? Please select three:

I ticked the "other" box and put headwinds, they always upset me more than the majority of other vehicles.
  20. marzjennings

marzjennings Über Member

Agreed, and I left them the comment that the poll was biased and based on an inaccurate assumption.