Ibuprofen gel for knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

My sixty nine year old knees are starting to ache after twenty or so miles on my road bike, has anyone tried ibuprofen gel on these joints? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it can help, apart from that I feel as fit as a flea!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Used to apply it to knee injuries when running, it was just about as effective as taking a couple of ibuprofen pills IME.

Ganymede

Veteran
I use the stronger version for shoulder pain, and it's effective. The regular stuff was referred to by a doctor I know as "practically homeopathic" so I always use the extra-strength variety.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've used it and found it effective. Don't bother with branded stuff (Ibuleve for example) - ASDA's own brand is stronger and way cheaper

screenman

Legendary Member
Lead researcher Dr Andrew Moore, of the Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics at the University of Oxford says.

"What we know does work is topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatory gels like ibuprofen. There is pretty good evidence that they work well and are pretty safe.

Where as one of our experts says salad cream.

I would say get it checked and take the advice of an expert, preferable one who cycles.

Ganymede

Veteran
A friend of mine is a professional bassoon player of mature years. Bassoon players tend to get a condition of the shoulder which eventually needs surgery. He was scheduled for surgery some months ahead on the NHS and used strong Ibuleve on it every day (I don't know how many times a day). He went in for the pre-op checkup and they said he didn't need the op any more.

Obviously this is anecdotal and totally unscientific (ie how badly did he need the op in fact, etc) and doesn't prove anything, but it is a true story.

Top Bottom