ID help picture now added 3 down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
"Content not available" so not able to see the pics.........sorry.

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It does look very much like a Pursuit, but mainly cos it's black. Is it the original enamel or has it been re-painted, the decals on the Pursuit are only stickers (vinyl) so it's pretty easy to remove them and quite common to take them off if/when they get a bit 'chewed up'.
Looks very nice though if a bit diddy (way too small for me. :whistle:).

OP
OP
onb

onb

Guru
Its seems like the original enamel, there where/ are some very small fragments of stickers on on I wondered if it may have been a ladies bike , cranks are 165 , and the drops are very shallow which suits me fine ,

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Its seems like the original enamel, there where/ are some very small fragments of stickers on on I wondered if it may have been a ladies bike , cranks are 165 , and the drops are very shallow which suits me fine ,
No it's just a small frame, I built a similar one up for my Nephew a few years ago when I got hold of a very small pristine Pursuit frame* and used the wheels, crank, front shifter, brakes and handlebar set-up off my 'pub bike' (the 'pub bike' was never a success in that I rarely rode it, I'd just built it up out of bits in the shed)
All I had to buy was a rear mech (Sora) a set of 6 speed indexed 'downtube shifters' (rear spacing was too narrow to get a 7 on) new chain, cables and tyres to build Simon a bike that looked like it had just come out of a shop for about £80 cost to me.

* The frame was unmarked, nary a chip or a rust spot and the decals were nigh perfect (wish I could find a bigger one to fit me, none of mine are that perfect)

OP
OP
onb

onb

Guru
There are a couple of chips in it but very sall the depth of enamelling on ot seems amazing Im thinking of doing Eroica on it , needs wheels and the 165 cranks are too short even for my short legs , the shifters work amazingly well and will be stopping , . need a trip to spa cycles now .Is the BB a standard size .depth wise .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With the BB I'd just strip it and check the bearing track on the shaft, if this is a constant shiny line then just replace the bearings and cages (about £3) Those shafts are made of a far higher grade steel than anything Shimano cobble together nowadays and were built to last (and be rebuildable) as for the cup threads they may be the same as modern ones or they may be Raleighs own thread normally you can tell by the wheel size. If they are 700c wheels then a modern BB is normally OK if they are 27inch then they could be either. If they do need changing then take the BB into the shop and let 'the old guy' take a look (not the spotty Saturday youff, he won't have a clue) bear in mind that anything could have been modified, repaired and/or bodged in the 30 or so years since the bike was built.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...X2n5gL&usg=AFQjCNEdBLGjWhP6FbRQm1MvtwmVvcQoag

OP
OP
onb

onb

Guru
reading a bit more the spec on this bike ie 10speed Hurets would indicate it might be a Raleigh Competition

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/1977/pages/03-77-competition.html

raleighnut

Legendary Member
reading a bit more the spec on this bike ie 10speed Hurets would indicate it might be a Raleigh Competition

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/1977/pages/03-77-competition.html
If it was a Competition then it'd have all Campagnolo transmission not crappy Huret (nearly as bad as Simplex)
When I rebuilt a Pursuit for my Nephew I fitted a Stronglight crank and a Sora rear mech (indexed to the 6 speed freewheel) which was a massive improvement over the kit it would have been fitted with (pretty much the same as my Equipe which is of similar vintage)
One thing that might tell you if its a 'high spec' Raleigh is the rear dropouts, if they've got an adjustable 'stop' screw in the back then it may be a 531 model as would the frame No. beginning with a W (the 531 models were built at Worksop by Carlton then later by the SBDU at Ilkeston)

Top Bottom