Improvisation or bin and buy the latest thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

A pedant writes: The term for makeshift repairs is to "jury rig" not "jerry rig".

I have never heard the term jury rig used in this context, always jerry rig, maybe a colloquialism, like ginnel, jitty etc.

JURY rig is the correct term for temporary/emergency repairs. (google it if you want!)

But the two terms do get used interchangeably, probably because they can be easily misheard.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have never heard the term jury rig used in this context, always jerry rig, maybe a colloquialism, like ginnel, jitty etc.

You may be getting it confused with the term "jerry built" meaning poor quality.

Edit : There's even an article about it here https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged/

"Some sticklers insist that it [jerry rigged] is incorrect". That's me, stickling away as usual :smile:

Last edited:
I have lots of common sense and it tells me not to trust most things I try and fix.!

At school we had an obligation to study a practical subject; woodwork, metalwork , or engineering drawing for O Level/CSE. I was so bad at them all I was advised to take an academic subject instead as I was certain to fail any of the three.

I say this with great frustration, I’d like to be able to repair stuff and I can often see how, in theory, to do it but as soon as I am hands on it all goes horribly wrong. Same applies to art, absolutely zero aptitude.

I hear you; I once worked with a friend on some DIY and it quickly became obvious he had no aptitude for it; it just wasn't his thing. On the other hand he could do maths equations more complex than 2 + 2 in his head and had a doctorate in Chemistry... something something something that was way over my head but apparently is essential in maintaining safe water supplies, so pretty important.

People are just different.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Repair twice; replace on third breakdown.
This^^^^

My rather expensive Neff integrated dishwasher has required 3 repairs in its rather short life (a little over 8 years). A different fault each time.
It has just failed again so before any repair was attempted (a quick Google suggested there was no simple fix)) it has been ripped out and replaced with an own-brand special.
Can't say that thrills me but I am not prepared to keep patching up over priced junk.

keithmac

Guru
Speaking personally, I prefer fixing and making stuff.

I had a long drawn out process making stuff for our Kuga gearbox conversion, was nice to see it back on the road but actually doing the job was a task.

Still the only one ever done so I suppose that's a thing.

Spend all day repairing stuff so I've lost the achievement of it, maybe in another life I'd enjoy tinkering.

I'd not look down on anyone who likes spending money on the latest thing, fair play to them imho.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I do all my own bike maintenance, not because I'm tight but because I know it'll be done to my requirements. Until the last two bikes I've mostly bought frames and built them up to suit. The two Halletts were built by Richard, but to exactly my specs (even if he did comment about my choice of components).

I had a long drawn out process making stuff for our Kuga gearbox conversion, was nice to see it back on the road but actually doing the job was a task.

Still the only one ever done so I suppose that's a thing.

Spend all day repairing stuff so I've lost the achievement of it, maybe in another life I'd enjoy tinkering.

I'd not look down on anyone who likes spending money on the latest thing, fair play to them imho.

Exactly, people have different gifts and abilities, and thank goodness for that...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This^^^^

My rather expensive Neff integrated dishwasher has required 3 repairs in its rather short life (a little over 8 years). A different fault each time.
It has just failed again so before any repair was attempted (a quick Google suggested there was no simple fix)) it has been ripped out and replaced with an own-brand special.
Can't say that thrills me but I am not prepared to keep patching up over priced junk.

Is this own brand called 'Skolly' and you now have an empty slot in the kitchen :laugh::laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can afford it, why not have it?. You're a long time dead..

Hmm, waste/landfill is another issue. Prevented our dryer going in landfill twice recently. Bit of chain off clothing somehow got onto the heating element triggering the house RCD to keep tripping, then the so called 'bearing' for the drum fell to bits. All fixed by me but we are avoiding using it too much due to cost. :laugh:

My BIL wants to rip his conservatory down as a couple of roof panels slip (he's taped them in place rather than actually fix them) and some internal trim is brittle. Try suggesting getting new roofing panels and new trim, oh no its knackered, £50k currently for a new one, hence him doing nothing. To fix the panels in place would cost £10, then maybe a hundred or two for new trim.:wacko:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I like to repair where possible and if I need to buy I try and buy second hand. This is across pretty much everything clothes, electronics and bikes.

I enjoy repairing or modifying electronics to be useful past thier intended life from the manufacturer. The last year or so I have been perfecting my video conferencing setup in the home office / radio shack / bike workshop. Apart from the microphone everything has come from office / studio clearances.

Top Bottom