In for a world of financial pain....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
He's lovely gbb. Glad he's on the up. A Lab who's a fussy eater. Did I read that right?
Thanks Crackle ...
Fussy ?...well choosy !
He loves to eat what we do...biscuits, roast chicken especially, scraps from the dinner table...but a bit of a mare with dogfood.
We'd always feed him Hero lamb or rabbit dogfood from asdas...but the wife got him chicken last week...thats when the problems started...maybe not connected, but the vet said NEVER change their diet too much. Find something they like, and stick with it.

Hes from working stock and has that 2 layer heavy'ish coat. Sheds fur like a fur shedding machine :rolleyes::biggrin:!:biggrin::biggrin: Jesus, you'd think he'd be bald after a year, but it just keeps coming.
Good job he's a blinder....

Willow said:
I think it was waffly that posted yesterday £1200 vet bill for cat and people say children are expensive.

The thing is, you take on the responsibility don't you. You know it before you get them, maybe not with the first but after that. I was never a dog lover, fairly ambivalent on them but once you make the decision you owe them and they've already paid for it. How many massages would you need for the same relaxation a dog gives you?

peanut

He's gorgeous. I don't blame him for not eating dog food especially hero yuk!
Have you seen how much meat is in that stuff ? 4% :wacko::ohmy:

For an animal that would normally eat 100% meat in the wild it seems odd that we feed our pets 4% padded out with rice and wheat and vegetables :biggrin:

My cats eat natural meat and fish mostly with an occasional felix sachet. Tey only lick the gravy off that !:tongue:

He's worth the cost GBB hope he fells a lot better very soon.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Sadly he's gone.
Deteriorated over the last couple of days, couldnt get him to eat. The vets said to feed him ANYTHING...he managed a bit of pizza last night but it was in his basket this morning.
He went all wobbly this morning, rushed home from work, emergency appointment at the vet, and had to carry him in bless him. A quick examination and the vet said..he's dying..his organs are failing. The infection just beat him.

It's a terrible situation that can never be easy, but take heart..IF ever you have to put a dog to sleep, its a VERY painless, quick and quiet.

I take some solace that although his life was short, he was loved and had a good home.
What a shoot year...roll on 2009.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Really sorry to hear that.

My cat of nineteen years died a couple of months ago, so I know how it feels.

Ben

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
We don't have pets as neither of us are particularly pet people.. but I'm sorry for your loss, GBB. :sad:

I used to have Gerbils when I was a kid, and their deaths were sad so I can only imagine what the loss of a beloved Dog must be like.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
gbb really sorry to hear your news. :sad:

longers

Legendary Member
Oh dear :sad: Really sorry to hear that.

You're looking at it in a very positive way, and it's true but what a shame :thumbsdown:

Hope 2009 is a lot better for you.

peanut

deeply sorry to hear of your loss and that he lost his battle . If you get the chance you might want to take a small snip of hair as a momento. If you want to know for sure where he is laid to rest ask the Vet to take him home to bury him in your garden.

I know Its a difficult time to think straight about anything but try keep in mind the all the many good times you shared together and how happy you made his life with you .

Oh that's very sad gbb, very sad, such a lovely dog, I feel for you.

Peanut's right, make sure you take all those good memories away with you. Personally I'd go for cremation maybe and scatter him on his favourite walk, I'm sad now :sad:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks for the kind words all...

Now of course, we start asking ourselves, what, why, when...because short of a post mortem, we dont REALLY know what he's died from.

And as we talk about it...awful coincidences start to appear (although it's easy to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5)

With hindsight, he's not been himself, (a little subdued maybe) for a couple of weeks.....and what happened a couple of weeks ago...the local council cleared the footpaths at the rear of the house, and it's just occured to us, they nearly always spray weedkiller. :laugh:

It's no help in the end worrying about if, buts and maybe's...but it's a sobering thought...if the landscapers are out...beware. It hadnt even occured to me.

Top Bottom