Inexperienced e-Bike Riders [Local Problem?]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I walk on average ~50 km a week. This is across a range of routes involving footways, footpaths, cycleways (shared use tracks with the painted line down the middle and footpaths cyclists have been permitted to ride on), bridleways and canal tow paths.

As the weather has warmed up, I'm coming into contact with more cyclists, more e-bike cyclists and a handful of e-scooter riders who are riding on the footways and footpaths. Most are considerate and that's fine.

I'm finding there is a definite issue with some of the e-bike riders who are both faster than regular pavement cyclists and either less experienced or less responsible or both. And that has resulted in a few issues. I'm speaking as an fan of e-bikes - I'd love an e-cargo bike for taking the dog further afield and to visit the local AONB.

Recently, on a dog walk, I was almost involved in a collision. Sorry, the dog (on a short lead) was almost involved in a collision.

I had stopped on the footway to cross a side road. Just before we stopped, I looked behind me back at the footway and noticed an e-bike rider advancing fairly quickly - just shy of 90 meters away and travelling up a gradient that reaches 1:10 in places.

The dog and I stood well away from the dropped kerb to allow the rider to pass safely without drawing us into conflict. My attention was focussed on the dog and the motorised traffic. The dog had sat at the kerbside as he is trained to - I made my observations and gave him the command 'okay' which means proceed. The dog proceded and I followed - with the e-bike rider veering straight across our path a fraction of a second later. I had positioned us far enough away from the dropped kerb for him to proceed and cross the road from pavement to pavement in a straight line without coming within at least a metre of us.

I could and probably should have looked again for the position of the e-bike rider before I gave the dog the command and stepped into the road. That would have avoided this situation and saved my heels/arm/back in stopping and pulling the dog back. And I will next time.

I think part of the problem might be the speed the e-bike was travelling at. This distance is checked on a map. When I saw the e-bike rider he was actually emerging from a section of footway that is carried by a bridge making measurment easy. It's 100m but I've knocked it down to 90m in making allowances. At 25 km/h, 6.94 meters are covered every second. This rider should have taken 12.96 seconds to reach us. I've just checked the GPS data from the walk and it looks like we were stopped for 7 seconds - and it was a couple of paces before we stopped that I looked behind us. So if we are being genours we could call it 9 seconds. 90 meters in 9 seconds is 9 meters covered every second and that equates to 36 km/h. Is that realistic for a de-restricted e-bike up a hill? It is the only way I can see any of this makes sense.

This is not the first or the most recent occasion on which I have experienced conflict like this with an e-bike rider. These last few weeks I've been caught out a few times on routes that don't afford such good visibility.

A lot of the locals have been making vociferous complaints about cyclists on social media. A lot of this is in response to spending on active travel. Some of the complaints have related quite specific stories which I was happy to think were statistical anomolies. I was also happy to think that the generalisations being largely confirmation bias. Recent experiences as a pedestrian are starting to challenge my thinking.

I'm thinking about contacting my local MP about the issue. Trouble is, I don't want the problem to be conflated and I don't want e-bike riders that are considerate and responsible to be penalised. If something isn't done, I'd wager that the PSPO the LA have applied to the area will be made even more restrictive towards cycling when it is renewed. 'Bicycles' are already banned from the pedestrian area in the town centre with no concessions. Yet there are concessions for motorised vehicles for loading/unloading.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
A legal ebike is no quicker than a regular bicycle, and in many scenarios a goodly bit slower.

This suggests the bikes to which you refer are not legal EAPCs, but rather illegal and unregistered electric mopeds.

My thoughts are that such riders are bell ends, but what can you do? They already ignore the laws regarding licence, insurance, etc, so are unlikely to take any notice is PSPO legislation is misused against them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Thanks - I was being careful about what I said on account I've not setup any speed traps to ascertain how fast the majority are ridden :smile:
Some are ridden uphill "freewheeling" though :smile:

The long and short is the local youf have discovered how to modify e-bikes to remove the limitations that make them EAPCs, meaning they need type approval and everything that goes with it.

The chances are the Police won't act - and it's impossible to report a general problem to them - only specific instances which they will ignore unless you have video evidence - in which case they might do something.

In my view, PSPOs are generally ignored by irresponsible people, which means they in effect only restrict the rights and freedoms of those who do behave responsibly.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I've seen some very worrying riding from ebike riders. The other day I was behind a middle-aged chap on an illegal ebike (doing about 25mph up a steep hill without pedalling). We then went down hill and gained speed. We approached a mini-roundabout with very limited visibility to the right. He sailed through, not even checking to his right, not slowing down at all. If a car had pulled out to go straight on or right, he would have been in serious trouble. He then rode up the hill and took a left into a wide junction, but only to swerve out again without looking or signalling. I assume he wanted to "pull in" to let faster traffic pass, but the way he did it showed no road craft at all.

markemark

Über Member
Near me it's not the e-bikes, but the food delivery cyclists who are terrible but all ride e-bikes. Non delivery riders on e-bikes are no better/worse than any other cyclist.

Drago

Legendary Member
Should the food delivery companies be made accountable or responsible for the vehicles that the delivery people are using?

Yes. If newsagents can be held accountable over paper boys being run over riding without lights then I cant see why Geronimo's Pizza should be any different.

classic33

Leg End Member
Should the food delivery companies be made accountable or responsible for the vehicles that the delivery people are using?
Why not?
If they we're on the road delivering in an illegal car, they'd soon not be getting jobs sent to them.

The problem is how do they work round the fact that all delivery riders are self employed.

They should but they really don't give a toss as long as they get deliveries made as quickly and cheaply as possible.

In Cardiff we have City Road, which is basically a km+ of restaurants and take-aways of all nationalities. I pass through there a couple of times a week and there are scores of delivery cyclists on that road, and I would say that virtually all the bikes are converted bikes and most of those are illegally modified. At 20mph I am regularly overtaken by freewheeling riders. The riders do it because, sadly, it is the only way they can make enough deliveries to earn enough money to survive on and the delivery companies clearly turn a blind eye.

templehead

Regular
A legal ebike is no quicker than a regular bicycle, and in many scenarios a goodly bit slower.

Depends who's riding the regular bicycle, I imagine... if it's me then the e-bike will 100% be quicker.

Thread title is misleading IMO as these machines aren't e-bikes, but illegal unregistered mopeds. I've encountered some round here, and the riding is as good as you'd expect from someone riding a machine as powerful as a 50cc moped with not even a CBT to their name. The majority of the ones I see are in the service of some food delivery company or other.

The delivery companies round here don;t seem to be using bikes anymore
they all seem to be car drivers
I have seen a couple of bikes with food delivery bags on their back - but very few

As far as the behaviour of illegal ebikes on paths is concerned - I have seen it both ways - some are just idiots - but I have seen several that are considerate and pull over

In other words - kn******s on ebikes are just faster k*******s - considerate riders on ebikes are still considerate riders

It is just that the k******s are attrected to the illegal ebikes!

without enforcement it will just get worse

and the only way I can see that being done it preventing the equipment being sold in the first place

because I can;t see how the Police can stop the bikes without using silly number of people per arrest

Top Bottom