Inexperienced e-Bike Riders [Local Problem?]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The general public is quite able to understand that motorbikes and pedal cycles are different things.

Of course e-bikes move one category slighty closer to the other, but that doesn't mean it's sensible to just munge them together willy-nilly!
It's almost like some journalists are aware that the confusion will generate extra clicks ... surely not ...

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

If you want to be pedantic, you are both calling them motorbikes which they are not; in terms of their characteristics and performance they are closer to mopeds. Calling them motorbikes is equally disingenious.

Further more, e-bike just means electric bike. It's non-specific. It doesn't necessarily mean EAPC, e-bicycle, e-motobike.

There are four classifications of e-bikes.

EAPC
S-Pedelec
E-Moped
E-Motobike

And all but the first require registration, insurance etc.

One source: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
There are many others that say the same thing.

Legally, the correct general term is e-bike.

Dadam

Über Member
Nonsense. Society judges certain language very harshly.

On this very forum we are - quite reasonably - not allowed to use many unpleasant, outdated terms for minorities. (and indeed many profanities).

Straw man fallacy. I was referring to the evolution of language not profanities or hate speech.

People will continue to refer to e-bikes as an umbrella term for a two wheeled vehicle with a motor and there’s nothing you can do about it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One source: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
There are many others that say the same thing.

Legally, the correct general term is e-bike.
That seems to pretty clearly say that "electric bikes" aka e-bikes means only EAPCs and all else are really mopeds or motorcycles.

It's defeatist to say we can't keep this accurate and are doomed to licensing and insurance and so on. But, I guess if not even cyclists are willing to try, then maybe the battle will be lost. If it is, I hope you'll feel proud of yourselves not trying when comparison shopping for your pedal cycle insurance! BOGU!

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

That seems to pretty clearly say that "electric bikes" aka e-bikes means only EAPCs and all else are really mopeds or motorcycles.

It's defeatist to say we can't keep this accurate and are doomed to licensing and insurance and so on. But, I guess if not even cyclists are willing to try, then maybe the battle will be lost. If it is, I hope you'll feel proud of yourselves not trying when comparison shopping for your pedal cycle insurance! BOGU!
I'd say that was intepretation through your own bias.

Given:

Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed.

And then:

An electric bike must be type approved if either:

Or are we only allowed to refer to vehicles by their actual classification now, which means we shouldn't use the term e-bike at all?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyway, avoiding the bun fight, these Sur-Rons need taking off the road (figuratively speaking - i.e. total ban). Nearly got wiped out by four of them at speed on my way home from work on a 'shared use path' last week - Alan Newton Way. They were ragging it, and flew round a corner with next to no grip and very nearly hit me head on. Same group of four I've seen regular. At least with the old 'engine' powered MX bikes you could hear them first.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

In my research (not exhaustive) I can only find two prosecutions brought against anyone for riding an unregistered non-EAPC. And it looks like they were prosecuted for associated offenses, namely no tax and no insurance.

Knowing how well the wheels of HMCS turn these days, there may be more cases yet to come to court.

classic33

Leg End Member
In my research (not exhaustive) I can only find two prosecutions brought against anyone for riding an unregistered non-EAPC. And it looks like they were prosecuted for associated offenses, namely no tax and no insurance.

Knowing how well the wheels of HMCS turn these days, there may be more cases yet to come to court.
How many other forces are removing them from the road, and "crushing them"?
West Yorkshire Police currently removing any they get.

johnnyb47

Guru
Would you say though that there are two types of people who use illegal ebikes. I've seen lots of people using illegal ebikes but they're very courteous ,sensible and maybe "older people" who want to tackle very steep hills and need that extra little bit of power to get them up it, whilst at the same time I've seen youngsters causing mayhem around towns and the streets using people as obstacle courses for fun.
I feel that if it wasn't for the irresponsible/antisocial way of which illegal e-bikes were being ridden the police would probably not take an interest in them. It's become like the latest trend for chavs to ride around on illegal ebikes around housing estates and city centres creating mayhem amongst the general public.
I've seen lots of weird and wonderful contraptions over the years that have propelled human beings along the road and that are not what we would say legal. I ran my car on vegetable oil on number of occasions when money was tight and before they banned red diesel it was used prolifically around my area by various people in their cars.I've also seen bicycles with petrol motors free wheeling down from the mountains to the town on there errands(rider included) and then once out of town they would engage the motors to get back up into the mountains where no there's police within tens of miles to stop them
As ebikes become more obtainable financially they will inevitably fall into the hands of youngsters who do not fully understand how dangerous these things can be if ridden iresponsibly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom