Inflexible shipping charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner put a 1st class on her mam's christmas card in december. It arrived 2 weeks ago and her mam had to pay £1.25 to collect it. It was just a normal card, not especially beefy

Dag Hammar

On the subject of carriage charges, I‘d like to sing the praises of a company called Firetrail.
I ordered two packets of those Parktool self adhesive patches and the carriage was only 99pence.
The letter-sized envelope arrived a couple of days later bearing a second class stamp ( 75p ).
I was very pleased with that deal. It goes to show that not all companies are on the make where carriage charges are concerned.

Jody

Stubborn git
Thing is, shipping charges are up, and if you need a little part, it's no longer cheap to ship it. Retailers can't carry that cost, especially if a regular bike shop.

How much is a first class stamp now for a letter - I don't know, but the last time I checked I 'swore'.

Exactly

Plus a member of staff taking 2-3 minutes to package/label, cost of the envelope etc

There is no profit margin to cover free shipping for an item worth £2 so it has to be recouped from somewhere

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Exactly

Plus a member of staff taking 2-3 minutes to package/label, cost of the envelope etc

There is no profit margin to cover free shipping for an item worth £2 so it has to be recouped from somewhere

I wasn't expecting free shipping.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In the past Planet X's charges put me off buying some of their smaller items on offer but they now sensibly have charges ranging from £1.99 upwards, depending on size of package.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Some of our regular suppliers charge up to 15% of order value for shipping goods

Sharky

Guru
A while back on wiggle/planet x or similar, I was just short of the free posting by just a few pence. So I searched for the cheapest item I could find, a clip or something. Added to the basket and got free posting.

Fredo76

Über Member
While there are all sorts of workarounds, thank you for complaining online. I felt the same way when ordering seatpost binder bolts. The postman could have delivered them for two stamps, in an envelope with a piece of tape and a piece of cardboard, without making any special trip, either to pick up, or drop off. It's ridiculous to do otherwise, really. Small amounts of waste add up, with 8 billion people and counting.

simongt

Guru
Now wise to shipping charges, I always check them before ordering anything I might wish to buy.
It's pretty common to see the charge being more than the value of the goods. :dry:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Now wise to shipping charges, I always check them before ordering anything I might wish to buy.
It's pretty common to see the charge being more than the value of the goods. :dry:

Yes, my partner would often get caught out with things like this. She'd see an advert on FB or something for some handy kitchen or cleaning apparatus; go to their store and pay £7.99 and then £4.99 shipping. I've since told her to merrily look at the product, but to then find it on the jungle website where it's often the same price but with free delivery

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In the past Planet X's charges put me off buying some of their smaller items on offer but they now sensibly have charges ranging from £1.99 upwards, depending on size of package.

My latest PX order was £6.99 for postage but the box was about a 40cm cube in all directions. Contained a sleeping bag, 2 dry bags and a couple of camping tin mugs. Sleeping bag was a bargain.

Top Bottom