Inspiration from DC Bootle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Having seen BC Bootle convert he's Viking to a hybrid it gave me the inspiration to do the same as my current winter hack has no mudguard clearance and the Viking has crud roadrace mk2's,the bars and levers are from my mountain bike which is being stripped for a re-build so i'll be getting some flat bars etc sometime soon,as i'll need the risers back for the mtb,anyway heres a couple of pics.
straightbarviking002.jpg

straightbarviking003.jpg

straightbarviking004.jpg

The brakes are Campy Veloce short reach but just about meet the rim so will be replacing for some longer reach in the near future sometime.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm liking the look of that little beauty -

what brake and gear levers are they and did you have to change the derauillers to be compatible??

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I'm liking the look of that little beauty -

what brake and gear levers are they and did you have to change the derauillers to be compatible??
Ta mate :thumbsup:
The brake/shifters are shimano 7 speed (unsure of model),still running the original mechs,i've got a double chainwheel with a triple shifter which works fine with 3rd and 2nd,1st is now redundant.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Hello Chris

Your getting closer to triggers broom with that one.

Looks good though - that yellow is a good colour
To be honest that was always the plan mate,to buy a cheap but good looking road bike then slowly and gradually upgrade the components to better spec items,did'nt have the money to go out and spend hundreds on a new bike so this way is like spreading the cost and at the end of it i'll have a bike built around my requirements,went for this particular model for the colour :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Chris, methinks you may be a little sad when the Summer comes round/want the Winter to continue ;) Looks great.
Come summer this will have bull horns and bar end brakes fitted and then just swap the bars from one to the other depending on weather,which ride i'll be going on etc.Have had the bike for 4 months now and just could'nt get comfy on the drops hence part of the reason for the change over.

BC BOOTLE

VIKING ROAD CLUB LIVERPOOL
Chris that looks great mate. . . . We even have the same grips:-) . . Twins . . Just born at different times :-) . . . Are you happy with the ride :-)

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Chris that looks great mate. . . . We even have the same grips:-) . . Twins . . Just born at different times :-) . . . Are you happy with the ride :-)
Love the ride mate,put in a little 22 miler last night,combination of pitchblack country lanes,urban and town riding and must say the tyres give an amazing ride,the difference with the straight bars is surprisingly much better,i doubt this will have drops put back on again,possibly bull horns but we'll see :thumbsup:

BC BOOTLE

The yellow looks good mate,will you not get away with the nice campy brakes,I'm now looking at wheels ,this upgrading bug is a hard thing to get rid of :laugh:...also got bar ends still in the box,wondering whether to change the tri bars for bar ends .?:rolleyes:..do you ride clipless with any of your bikes,Im just starting out since christmas ,,A positive move for me..I really notice the lack of wind resistance since changing the stem to a 10 degree,may try a straight stem,,just pondering :scratch:,what do you have planned for your upgrades,I see flat bars are on the shopping list

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
i'm going to go for dual sided spd's/platforms,flat bars,thumb shifters and different grips,changing both mechs as they really are cheap crap on it atm,possibly change the chain rings and tbh that'll probably be it,will probably stick with the current calipers as well,i doubt i'll change the wheels,they seem to roll absolutely fine so i dont have any issues with them atm,but that does'nt mean i wont change my mind about them in the future:thumbsup:

BC BOOTLE

i'm going to go for dual sided spd's/platforms,flat bars,thumb shifters and different grips,changing both mechs as they really are cheap crap on it atm,possibly change the chain rings and tbh that'll probably be it,will probably stick with the current calipers as well,i doubt i'll change the wheels,they seem to roll absolutely fine so i dont have any issues with them atm,but that does'nt mean i wont change my mind about them in the future:thumbsup:
mine are dual sided Chris Shimano pdm 505's,,not expensive to start out with tbh I'm already a convert only used the "normal" side once since christmas,that was because a bit of walking was involved on and off ferry,,performance is much improved clipped in.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I've never tried clipless before,i have the shoes and cleats but just not got rounf to getting the pedals yet ^_^

Top Bottom