IOW Randonee 2010 Sunday 2nd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
After all the riding I've been missing out on over the last few months, I'm up for anything and everything.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yup, I'll be there for a third time. Probably on the Viner (I was about an hour quicker lapping on that in October than I was on the Jetstream in May, though the frequent chain drops definitely counted towards that!!!).

redjedi

Über Member
We could make this our epic road of 2010 as suggested by User3143

From West London to Portsmouth is about 70 miles. Perhaps train down to get an early start Randonee and ride back to London. Would make a nice 100+ miler.

yoyo

I am hoping to be there on my Batavus Alamo. I last cycled round the island on 15th July 2008 but we were burgled in 2009 and I lost my photographs as they were on my laptop which was stolen.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
redjedi said:
We could make this our epic road of 2010 as suggested by User3143

From West London to Portsmouth is about 70 miles. Perhaps train down to get an early start Randonee and ride back to London. Would make a nice 100+ miler.

Don't think so, Luke- first train down from Waterloo's 0800 on Sunday (!)- if you want an early start, B&B or camping's probably the best option.

There is a checkpoint for the Portsmouth Ferry Start at Kite Hill which has camping. Also several pubs within easy distance.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I usually do this one. I'll be off from Cowes. It's clockwise this year right? That means we don't descend en masse from the Ferry for our usual warm welcome from Barry Chuckle on the chain bridge.

The trains were knackered last year with no Sunday service from London to Southampton and there's always track butchery in the Pompey area, so check up nearer the date for engineering works y'all.

Al - if you're not quite in the epic mood, you could train from F'boro to Winchester and we could ride from there to Southampton - 12 reasonably benign miles one way. All subject to the usual permits and regulations from the Doris of course.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Aperitif said:
All his miles are benign...

they are at the moment that's for sure

I'm sort of thinking of cycle down, do ride and cycle back(though depends on the beer monster), it's about 45 miles from my place to the ferry.

Teef, Red, you could consider a really early London start(SNRTTC), bite to eat here then we head on or I could meet you en route somewhere. Alternatively you could stay over at mine on the Saturday night. Probably need to head off about 0400hrs, could arrange to meet Bollo on the way as well.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB said:

I'm sort of thinking of cycle down, do ride and cycle back(though depends on the beer monster), it's about 45 miles from my place to the ferry.

Teef, Red, you could consider a really early London start(SNRTTC), bite to eat here then we head on or I could meet you en route somewhere. Alternatively you could stay over at mine on the Saturday night. Probably need to head off about 0400hrs, could arrange to meet Bollo on the way as well.

Sounds good to me. It's easy enough to Southampton from mine.

Sleeping is not an option.
Bollo? Well, maybe - if pressed. :biggrin:

(My bike doesn't 'do' foreign soil.) :smile:

Actually, the last time we were at yours, we all ended up doing an impression of the beads in a maraca as we bimbled towards Basingstoke.

Interestingly, FarnB' is twinned with the town in the Parisien suburbs that I visit for rugby...'Meudon' - at least I think it is.

Can't see many of us being twinned with anything...:laugh:

redjedi

Über Member
MacB said:

At the moment, that sounds like the most appealing plan. I also have Wokingham as a possible launching pad.

How long does it take to do the IOW ride? Trying to work out if cycling all the way home is an option.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
redjedi said:
At the moment, that sounds like the most appealing plan. I also have Wokingham as a possible launching pad.

How long does it take to do the IOW ride? Trying to work out if cycling all the way home is an option.

It could be one of those play it by ear scenarios, just make sure the ride home passes plenty of train stations.

Top Bottom