is it a good deal for a powermeter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I been into my LBS today just to see what they have on offer and get a bargain but i have been offered a ROTOR INPOWER 3D MAS 110BCD for £630 fully fitted to my s5 instead of the £700 rrp

mark st1

Plastic Manc
It's 10% off so that's for you to decide will it make you any quicker will it improve you I'm pretty sure people have commented in other threads of yours about the lack of cycling you actually do. So maybe start there first. However it's your money so it's for you to decide if it's a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

S-Express

It's an ok deal - not an amazing one though. Why are you asking if you have already accepted that you don't need one? (as you mentioned on another thread).

Buying one is only half the story anyway. You also need to understand and interpret what it is telling you in an actionable way, otherwise it's just another useless piece of electronic gadgetry.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How does the price compare to other retailers, when you factor in the fitting too?

If you want a power meter, if you want that particular power meter, if you think it's a good deal for you and if you have the money, go for it.

Only you can decide if it's a good deal, purchasing is not only a rational act, it's also emotional (if interested in such things, buy a book on branding to read while turbo training :smile: )

For me it's an awful deal and a complete waste of money, but then I'm not in the market for such things

Like others have said you'll have to decide if you really need it for it to be considered a bargain,if you were upgrading the crankset anyway(or sell what you have)that would also offset the cost.

Taking in to account they are fitting it and hopefully calibrating it as well it may well be worth it;Rotor kit is good stuff.

On the other hand you can get a stages one for less than that which would be good enough for most I would think(good enough for Sky anyway:whistle:)or even a Pioneer one.

There seems like an interminable quest for a "bargain" rather than getting what you actually need.

I think you should think in terms of return on investment. For me, that would be a very poor way to spend £700. I wouldn't get in pleasure out of it, I don't want to put time working out a training program, and I don't want to work that hard. I make no money cycling, so I wouldn't see my money back.

For someone who is in line for TdF 2019, then it may be a very good spend. Over the next decade he could recoup his outlay thousands of times over in prize money and sponsorships.

Is it a good buy for you? Only you can decide. But decide if spending circa £650 on a power meter is money well spent before finding the best value for money.

mattobrien

Guru
Looking at that specific product, Wiggle are selling it for £700, with the 12% platinum discount that brings the cost down to £616, but then you'd have to fit it yourself.

All things considered, if I were in the market for that particular power meter I would buy fully fitted from LBS at £630, rather than £616 from Wiggle and have to figure out / pay someone to fit.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you just want a power meter as a training aid it is not the cheapest on the market. A Stages, Bepro or Garmin Vector single sided are quite a bit less and will give you repeatable data. You will need to follow a structured plan like The Time Crunched Cyclist or similar to benefit from using the pm. Personally I would read a book like this prior to shelling out a lot on the pm, you may have already. It explains the reasons why power meters are good in a structured training plan and also gives you hrm training advice as well, which although not as good can and does work.

Tejvan Pettinger's blog had a few articles on the subject (think that's cyclinguphill).

Sportive cyclist has a recent post on them too. Perhaps worth a read first?

I must admit, I've not read the 2nd of those yet.

Top Bottom