Is it worth postcoding my new bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Looking at an old thread, I was wondering if it's worth registering my new bikes with the police? Having had two bikes nicked in the past, I don't want it to happen again.

Is it worth doing and how do I go about getting it done? Do I need an appointment or can I just walk in?

Thanks for the help. ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Look out for the next Police Mobile Unit wandering around York. They happen frequently enough.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You could start by getting one of those ultra violet pens and just writing your postcode on the bike somewhere, like we used to be encouraged to do with stereos and the like, although I don't know if they routinely scan over bikes....

I would assume sometime in the york bike festival thing (August?) there will be a unit out doing registrations.

Ah, potentially useful number here...

http://www.york.gov.uk/transport/Walking_and_cycling/bike_security/

gbb

Legendary Member
I had mine done with this 'smart water ?' (is that the right term ?) by the local police.
Funnily enough, there was a big thing about it round here....but its all gone quiet. i wonder if they still do it ?

justAl

Having your post code on the bike wont stop it being nicked!! But to increase chances of it being recoverd get it DATATAG'd

Top Bottom