is it worth putting new rims on a wheelset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a set of super star components wheels that have a narrow rim profile about 14 mm i think and they are a nice set of wheels and light .
Given the trend towards wider rims would it be a cost effective gain if i got a wider rim set laced onto the wheels as the 25s i run look like ballons or at my level would i notice no difference ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you want to run wider tyres like 28/30/32mm etc for comfort then yes wider rims would be better. If you can only clear 25mm on your frame then not sure what "gain" you will get. Of course if the rims are shot then a wider rim that will still take a 25mm tyre is a no brainer.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cost effective gain? Depends what you want to achieve. I put some wider rims on my ‘07 Trek and fitted 28c tyres which just fitted within the frame because I wanted more comfort. I’m very happy with it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Ok not worth it as I thought, I was just musing about it. Everyone I ride with are running 28-32 width these days 🙄 I'm running 25 s but can't afford a new bike so I turn up on an 11 year old bike with rims and they are on all singing and dancing carbon disc models that are lighter and more aero

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Don't worry about it. I turn up to club runs on a shiny new steel bike with 25mm tyres. It sings and dances just as well any of the plastic ones.

Jameshow

Veteran
What wheels are they?

If old 32h training wheels put some lighter rs10 or Mavic wheels on and you'll feel faster..

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yeah, personally I'd just ride them until the rims are toast / you've had your money's worth and maybe rebuild them.

It's probably a lot easier / not much more expensive to replace the complete wheelset, however if your hubs / spokes are reasonable quality (and outlast the rims!) replacing the rims will help you get your money's worth from the bits you keep.

I rebuilt the wheels on my Routier beater with new rims a while ago, and on the whole found it quite an enjoyable and rewarding process :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ok not worth it as I thought, I was just musing about it. Everyone I ride with are running 28-32 width these days 🙄 I'm running 25 s but can't afford a new bike so I turn up on an 11 year old bike with rims and they are on all singing and dancing carbon disc models that are lighter and more aero

And.... 11 years old bike, positively new compared to my two 30 year old ones. The only people faster than me are actually 'faster' than me. It's nothing to do with the bike.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

What wheels are they?

If old 32h training wheels put some lighter rs10 or Mavic wheels on and you'll feel faster..

superstar elite 24s

IMG_20200504_174919633.jpg

Top Bottom