Is my Dawes Galaxy 531 st?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stew853

Seatpost size (diameter) is a good indicator. The external diameter of steel seat tubes is *always 28.6mm. Expensive tubing has a higher strength to weight ratio and is therefore lighter because it can be used in a thinner wall section. 27.2mm is the standard size for 531 (manganese-molybdinum alloy), 27mm for 501 (Reynolds chromium-molybdinum alloy), 26.8mm (Tange chromoly) and so on.

Re Seatpost sizes-
A bicycle made from 'imperial' size tubing, such as Dawes, would, as you state, have a seat tube with an outside diameter of 1.125" or 28.60mm.
In regard to seatposts-
the 531C (Competition) tube set had a butted seat tube of thickness 21-24SWG (0.91-0.56mm) - this equated to a mean internal diameter of 27.48 and thus utilised a seat pillar of 27.2mm diameter.
the 531ST (Special Tourist) tube set, as used in the Galaxy, had a butted seat tube of thickness 19-22SWG (1.02-0.71mm) - this equated to a mean internal diameter of 27.18 and thus utilised a seat pillar of 27.0mm diameter
Hope this helps
reqards
Stew

andy_spacey

Über Member
I have a 2009 Dawes galaxy, made in Taiwan. done over 5000 miles so far, give up driving and use my bikes full time. on the 1 of June i start my ride from Coventry to faro Portugal on it,Full loaded, Great bike, dose what it says it will do and a bit more

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have a 2009 Dawes galaxy, made in Taiwan. done over 5000 miles so far, give up driving and use my bikes full time. on the 1 of June i start my ride from Coventry to faro Portugal on it,Full loaded, Great bike, dose what it says it will do and a bit more

Can I suggest before you set off on your big trip you make sure the rims aren't worn out, particularly on the back wheel. The back rim on my Ultra Galaxy was shot after 3000 miles. The bottom bracket was also knackered by 5000 miles on both mine and my other half's bikes. Thought I'd warn you while there's still time to get it fixed.

Mitz

Can I suggest before you set off on your big trip you make sure the rims aren't worn out, particularly on the back wheel. The back rim on my Ultra Galaxy was shot after 3000 miles. The bottom bracket was also knackered by 5000 miles on both mine and my other half's bikes. Thought I'd warn you while there's still time to get it fixed.

This doesn't fill me with confidence. presently trying to buy a Galaxy on ebay for my LEJOG and I need to be sure it's up for the job.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
This doesn't fill me with confidence. presently trying to buy a Galaxy on ebay for my LEJOG and I need to be sure it's up for the job.

That's not the Galaxy's fault. The only thing permanent on a bike is the frame and forks, the rest fo the components will wear out over time.

Rims wear out due to braking, so Helen's recommending that the owner get them checked out before his big trip.

If you're buying off ebay or second hand, you too will need to go through this process.

My advice would be to view the bike beforehand and if in doubt, take someoene who knows his/her bikes. Good luck with your purchase and your trip.

avalon

Guru
Re Seatpost sizes-
A bicycle made from 'imperial' size tubing, such as Dawes, would, as you state, have a seat tube with an outside diameter of 1.125" or 28.60mm.
In regard to seatposts-
the 531C (Competition) tube set had a butted seat tube of thickness 21-24SWG (0.91-0.56mm) - this equated to a mean internal diameter of 27.48 and thus utilised a seat pillar of 27.2mm diameter.
the 531ST (Special Tourist) tube set, as used in the Galaxy, had a butted seat tube of thickness 19-22SWG (1.02-0.71mm) - this equated to a mean internal diameter of 27.18 and thus utilised a seat pillar of 27.0mm diameter
Hope this helps
reqards
Stew
That's a bit confusing. I have a Mercian 531ST frame with 27.2 seatpillar and a Claud Butler 531C frame with 27.0 seat pillar.

Mitz

That's not the Galaxy's fault. The only thing permanent on a bike is the frame and forks, the rest fo the components will wear out over time.

Rims wear out due to braking, so Helen's recommending that the owner get them checked out before his big trip.

If you're buying off ebay or second hand, you too will need to go through this process.

My advice would be to view the bike beforehand and if in doubt, take someoene who knows his/her bikes. Good luck with your purchase and your trip.

Oh for sure, I realise that
I meant about the fact that I was looking at buying on ebay ... viewing the bike beforehand is difficult, me being in Spain
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom