Is this a disciplinary offence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been in a similar position and on finding the said drawer* taken I simply tipped it all out and took it back and then had words that if it ever happened again I would take serious action via management and HR. Didn't go down too well and I had to watch my back for ages until I left the job.

*it wasn't a drawer but something a bit more serious and involved confidential data.

Mr Phoebus

What about a bit of 'slapstick comedy' where you smash the drawer over her head?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Or wait until she puts down a full cup of coffee near the Drawer, pick up the coffee, hand it to her, remember you are being polite and helpful.;)

Oh dear, butter fingers, how did you manage to drop the coffee cup into her drawer. :blush:

peanut

its a difficult position . You have to face the facts.

She is clearly acting unreasonably but what she is doing is hardly a disciplinary offence. Your managers do not have sufficient to act on and are quite probably scared of tackling her on trivial matters because of the aggravation and conflict . They probably hope that things will die down and the problem will go away.

You do not have sufficient support amongst your collegues to make a concerted effort between you to keep her in line and it really is not worth trying to go up against her alone. If you do, you run the risk of losing face and respect amongst your collegues if you lose, they may well side with her against you putting you in an intolerable position.

All you will achieve is putting the backs up of your Managers, increasing the tension between you and your workmates and increasing the likeihood of further retalitory action from this person.

Do you really want to go to work every day wondering what she is going to do to you next ?

Its Xmas coming up. Don't put your job and income at risk over this . Her action is annoying but hardly a catastrophe .

MarkF

Guru
Totally disagree with the above, although it's probabaly sensible advice and given in good faith.

Get your bloody drawer back that the woman took without permission, you will never be at peace until you do:biggrin:

peanut

MarkF said:
Totally disagree with the above, although it's probabaly sensible advice and given in good faith.

Get your bloody drawer back that the woman took without permission, you will never be at peace until you do:biggrin:

yeah 10 years ago I'd have shoved her drawer where the sun don't shine but I'm older and wiser now and realise that life is tough enough without always being in conflict with everybody to make a point .;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seriously, see the line manager - you need a set of drawers..... as a minimum.... otherwise stack work sh1t up on the desk..............

Been there and done it with all sorts of mad / loopy staff...glad I'm not managing anyone at the moment - a good manager gets the stress, a poor one doesn't care....

I've been called "him" to my face....

There is one sort of person which will make me to blow fire.....that sounds like your colleague...... someone that's not had kids, hates them, possibly divorced, never had to manage any child...... they are just like a toddler, add on 40 years...... ohh it sends me through the roof..........and I've done it (in a professional way - the other party lost it....)

col

Legendary Member
If you dont fancy the regulations way,just take the draw over to her desk and empty it all over ,and tell her to f@@k off.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
col said:
If you dont fancy the regulations way,just take the draw over to her desk and empty it all over ,and tell her to f@@k off.

Have to say that's what I would do. :tongue:;):thumbsup:

Hmmm. Not a nice situation to be in PP.

To be honest, I've been in work situations where there is a very macho culture, where low key bullying is just the norm. That's not my style at all, but sometimes you just have to take very direct and firm action against the perpetrator. In your case, simply taking back the drawer (what do you do btw, that drawers are so important?) and very firmly handing her the stuff that she cuckooed into your space would suffice. Be firm but not aggressive and make sure there are witnesses on hand. Hopefully she will be so nonplussed that some one has dared to stand up to her that it will end there.

Good luck.

You say this is the tip of the iceberg? Well I say class action. Don't take this one on on your own.

You could get a list of offences together that she has committed against various people about the place - and talk to the other victims. Take it to management, or HR, and offer them a choice of solution.

Organize a meeting with a few victims, managment, union rep, and the perpetrator and lay it on the line. Make the demands clear and arrange for follow ups.

Enough is enough!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Thanks for your input everybody! Some of your suggestions are very, very tempting indeed (now where is that open can of tuna I saw in the fridge a few weeks ago....) If the email I sent doesn't get me any further, I will be plotting a slow and painful revenge!!! Back at work tomorrow, so is queen bee, so we will see what happens...

punkypossum said:
Thanks for your input everybody! Some of your suggestions are very, very tempting indeed (now where is that open can of tuna I saw in the fridge a few weeks ago....) If the email I sent doesn't get me any further, I will be plotting a slow and painful revenge!!! Back at work tomorrow, so is queen bee, so we will see what happens...
Just make sure that whatever you do makes you feel better.
Kick ass tiger! :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Punky... as said, fight fire with fire....

get in before her tomorrow and CLAIM BACK YOUR DRAWER. There is nothing she can do, because you are in effect doing what she did which means if they want to take action they will have to take action against both of you, and if it is "wrong" in the eyes of the company, then she will be the one in the wrong as you will only have righted her "wrong".

In effect they will not be able to take any action against you, as they will have to admit they did nothing to her! and then you can threaten discrimination

don't be a wimp.... just do it and when she complains get up close, look her in the eye and say "DON'T TAKE ME ON!"

Top Bottom