Is this as rude as it gets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Beer In The Evening reviews of my local pub:

I went in here and honestly felt that I would never get out alive. As I walked in, I carried on to the bar in terrible fear for my life. I ordered a drink and tried to work out an escape route. I had a hundred eyes on me. The stench of cannabis was obvious. I did'nt touch my half. I asked for the toilets and ran away. How do people get away with running a place like this?

Wouldnt be surprised if you saw a couple of pit-bulls slugging it out on the floor near the bar as you walk in - its that kind of place.
Went there once with a friend of non-WASP origins. I had to wait outside while he negotiated my entry. Once inside, I'm sure I saw Ben Kenobi fending off punters with a light-sabre - this really is the cantina from Star Wars.
I stuck to the mate like glue, unfortunately he proceeded to provoke one of the locals into a confrontation. An explosive situation was only defused when I quickly ordered Angostura and Tonics all round, as the punch on the lip I received from the barman brought laughter from all sides.
Report this for removal
senberbex - 20 Sep 2007 17:39
shithole. 0/10.
Report this for removal

Tetedelacourse

I ate in Gordon Ramsay's Amarylis in Glasgow a few times before it closed. It was profanely fantastic. The service was bettered only by the food.

I was really gutted when it closed as there aren't that many top notch restaurants up here - plenty who will charge top notch rates mind you and then fail spectacularly to deliver service and quality of food to match the price.

ChrisKH

Guru
I wouldn't eat ribs in this country; they just can't do them with the same sort of ability as the Americans. Lots of people slate US cooking and food but ribs/steaks are the one thing they do well. And at half the price.

I'm tempted to try Bodeans as they have a restaurant at Tower Hill. But I hate being disappointed.

GrahamG

Guru
Simon's post just reminds me of all those online reviews with people describing their experience of taking their other half up the oxo tower. I had never laughed so hard at anything on the internet, except of course the classic poo gnome on ratemypoo.com.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am not sure I have much sympathy for anyone who would chose to eat in the Oxo Tower - isn't that some kind of masochism?

In fact, eating out in the centre of London is hardly ever that pleasant an experience IMHO. It is so ludicrously expensive and stuck up. I really miss living in Tokyo - now, that was a place for food - far more Michelin stars than London and Paris combined. Beautiful food in sensible portions, unobtrusively efficient service everywhere, and you can have change for a tenner for lunch in some of the top places.

On the OP - I read that review and thought it was rude but very likely to be accurate, but then he knew that before he went in anyway, I expect. I don't have much time for restaurant critics, it's such a pointless profession largely populated by people who were unable to be literary critics (let alone proper writers)...

Abitrary

Jonathan Meades, AA Gill, Giles Coren - all very good with the floridly sarcastic stuff, but it sometimes reads like a copy of Viz.

The only food writer on the planet who can bring dramatic occasion to a restaurant review is Michael Winner.

Monkey Boy

Gordon Ramsay is a genius...
Visited Petrus a few years back when it was at St James Square (or thereabouts?). It was my first real experience of fine dining and and it was just brilliant. I'm now a fine dining freak and will seek the opportunity wherever I go........
Probably the best place I've eaten is at the Jules Verne (2nd floor on the Eiffel Tower) a few years back. Just ace.

Top Bottom