Are you getting more philanthropic as you get older?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
Indeed.

I recently got a taxi, a black guy driving, nice old boy. He was telling me that morning he'd done a school run and the mum then asked to be driven home as well. He drover her back home, but she didn't have the money to pay for the return journey.

And he told me how he no longer works the lucrative Friday and Saturday nights because of the racial abuse he receives.

I felt sorry for him, a normal guy just trying to earn a crust and up against it at every turn so I tipped him a tenner. The auld feller was so pathetically grateful.

I did a favour to two tree surgeons who were always getting the monkey `jokes' to use the term loosely.
I asked them how often they got racial abuse and by staff or customers.

Answer `both and constantly'. The shrug they said it with made me feel very uncomfortable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The opposite
In the past i have given stuff and time freely to help out and have been taken for a mug

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
I volunteer and collect litter and clear drains in the lanes around my home. I am wary of people just taking and taking if given the chance.

BigSid

Guru
No, but I have bought food for people who appear homeless. Never 100% sure they are but I became homeless when I was 18 and appreciated the help I got. I also never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man but here I am, smashing it!

Top Bottom