Is wi-fi dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bollo said:
As an ex-registered radiation worker, I'd like to point out that the non-ionising radiation that Dr Magnatom works with is, and I mean this in a post-homophobic sense, a bit gay. He may produce higher resolution images, but antimatter imaging is sexier. Check out my high PET Sieverts!

Pah! Sieverts Pah! As I'm sure your aware, the doses of radiation that workers receive in Nuc Med have been shown to benificial to health. Now that's much more ponsy than MRI.

How about the ferromagnetic missile effect, burns, deafening noise and quenches!:biggrin::smile:

(Disclaimer: MRI is increadibly safe. This discussion has just decended into petty oneupmanship and should be diregarded by anyone with an IQ greater than 35.......)

dodgy

Bollo said:
As an ex-registered radiation worker, I'd like to point out that the non-ionising radiation that Dr Magnatom works with is, and I mean this in a post-homophobic sense, a bit gay. He may produce higher resolution images, but antimatter imaging is sexier. Check out my high PET Sieverts!

Seriously, my neighbourhood was the focus for one of the most high-profile mobile phone mast protests of recent times. I turned up at the first meeting with the crazy notion that a neutral, scientific evidence-based approach might move the debate forward. I have NEVER been more wrong in my life. It was a f&*king lynch mob. I walked away. They actually campaigned to have the mast moved further away, which would mean that, because of local geography, it would have to be a higher powered mast, which would mean that they would receive ...... more dose. F F S!

In risk terms, Wifi and mobile masts pose a far lower danger than balloons, ponds, stairs and ..... errrrr......cars.

Mobile phone masts should be located in schools, because this will mean that the little darling's handsets will require less power to communicate with the mast. We should be more concerned with the proximity of handsets to human heads (still debatable) than cellphone towers that are yards away (inverse square law rapidly decreases the possible harm).

Oh and the WLAN thing, I heard there were people in a school that knew when the WLAN was offline, not because their Internet suddenly dropped off (presumably). There's already a fog of RF passing around (and through) us everyday, not sure that a WLAN with very lower power is actually that much of a risk.

peanut

gavintc said:
Well that is me screwed. I can see from my kitchen laptop 5 other wifi signals. The folk downstairs have a faster connection and have not put security on it, so I regularly use their connection.

not only is it illegal ,plenty of people have been imprisoned for doing it :biggrin: do a googlesearch .Your use of their Wi-Fi leaves a record on their PC.
An estate agent sat outside my place and tried to log in to my wi-fi A message came up on my screen warning me so I went out and challenged him. :smile: never seen him since :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yello

atbman said:
All they need to do to reverse the damage done (shown by their willingness to believe such tosh) is to make sure that there is at least one unplugged socket in each room used by their daughter.

People are, of course, entitled to believe what they like and shouldn't really have to face ridicule for it... in an ideal world.

And I can understand parents being concerned about the health of their children.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Uncle Mort said:
But why are you ex-registered Bollo?

Even Homer Simpson is managing to hang in there :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the UK, despite inventing CT, is a bit of a nuclear medicine backwater when it comes to the design and production of medical scanners. My ex-area of expertise was photon detectors and image reconstruction for something called Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and most of the action was/is in the states and Japan. So I changed careers and my registration has lapsed.

magnatom said:
Pah! Sieverts Pah! As I'm sure your aware, the doses of radiation that workers receive in Nuc Med have been shown to benificial to health. Now that's much more ponsy than MRI.
Not the way I behaved in the cyclotron room it isn't!:ohmy:

yello said:
People are, of course, entitled to believe what they like and shouldn't really have to face ridicule for it... in an ideal world.

And I can understand parents being concerned about the health of their children.
That's all very well when the decisions are made through reasoned and informed process, but hysteria, misinformation and mob-panic are often the order of the day, presided over by the likes of the Daily Wail and Express.

(To add to Magnatom's disclaimer - MRI is very very safe, that's one of its key benefits over imaging techniques that use ionising radiation. Even if you are up for a procedure that involves either an X-ray or some radioisotope (Gamma camera, SPECT, PET...), the dose that you'll receive is well under any level considered to be risky. For example, pilots and frequent flyers will easily exceed any dose you're likely to get, as they're busy stopping cosmic rays)

Bollo said:
(To add to Magnatom's disclaimer - MRI is very very safe, that's one of its key benefits over imaging techniques that use ionising radiation. Even if you are up for a procedure that involves either an X-ray or some radioisotope (Gamma camera, SPECT, PET...), the dose that you'll receive is well under any level considered to be risky. For example, pilots and frequent flyers will easily exceed any dose you're likely to get, as they're busy stopping cosmic rays)

Aye, if my memory serves me right, coal miners and pilots generally receive the larges occupational radiation doses. Interestingly Nuclear power station workers receive less....

(Disclaimer: This knowledge comes from many years ago, and therefore, due to the mists of time, could in fact be completely factitious! Statistically speaking there is a small risk of me being right.....)

OP
OP
Y

yello

One persons reasoned informed process is anothers wild hysteria. :rolleyes:

But seriously, and I've asked this in relation to many other subjects, just when has one done enough research to qualify one's decision as informed? I'm happy for people to make decisions on whatever basis they like - not for me to say whether they're right or wrong. I just reserve the right to make my own decisions on whatever basis I choose, whilst acknowledging the (outside) possibility that I might be wrong :ohmy:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
Aye, if my memory serves me right, coal miners and pilots generally receive the larges occupational radiation doses. Interestingly Nuclear power station workers receive less....

(Disclaimer: This knowledge comes from many years ago, and therefore, due to the mists of time, could in fact be completely factitious! Statistically speaking there is a small risk of me being right.....)

Nope, your right. Pilots get a cracker of a dose. Anyone living in an area with lots of granite, for example Cornwall will usually receive a radiation dose nearly 10 times higher than the national average (the last number I can remember is around 9mSv a year against a 1mSv average). When I was in the trade, I think my allowed whole-body dose per year was about 3mSv, more than Joe Public but 3x less than a Cornish person!

Top Bottom