Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
See you there. It's only half a mile from Southampton Central Station to the Red Funnel terminal but the roads are a bit tricksey. Worth having a look at a map.

If you see a fat man on a dirty Litespeed then that's me. Come and say hello.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
And if you see a trike struggling slowly up a hill, that'll be me.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Slight bump!

C or anyone else - is there a reliable gpx version of the route anywhere? I always seem to ballsup the bit between Yarmouth and Freshwater. I remember getting one of bikely or similar last year but it proved to be a little untrustworthy.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
The Bikely route is a "touring" version.

I don't know where you will get a gpx.

Thanks C. I usually hand-craft my routes using only the finest quality mouse-clicks, but I'd rather not be arsed for the IoW if someone else has got there first. I think most of the routing sites allow you to download routes in gpx or some other gps-compatible format these days.

It was the first serious run-out last year for my edge and I was *ahem* a little naive *ahem* - the thing spent the first 20 miles of the ride telling me to U-turn before I found the 'Stop Navigating' option. :biggrin: I'm more savvy now and Mapsource has been updated enough to make it usuable. If I have time I'll try and knock up a route and upload it somewhere.

montage

God Almighty
Tempted, as I can more or less see the IoW from my house

I just had a thought - if someone who did it last year (Me?) had it on the "Garmin Training Centre" and could find a way oof exporting it as a GPX file then they could put it up on the internet.

So here is my route from last year...... Link

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
I just had a thought - if someone who did it last year (Me?) had it on the "Garmin Training Centre" and could find a way oof exporting it as a GPX file then they could put it up on the internet.

So here is my route from last year...... Link

Share->download .gpx

Job's a good'n. Thanks C - I would have followed my own route last year but its got the odd detour (and not shortcuts either :biggrin:).

There are a few flat bits!

Seriously....

Starting at Kite Hill, the route "undulates" between here and Cowes, with a couple of sharp climbs.

From Cowes there is a steady climb and then it again undulates to Freshwater

From here there is a climb to Blackgang (571 feet) then a long sweep and climb to Niton (420 feet) and Wroxall.

Then it undulates (all under 200 feet) back to Kite Hill.

The route I linked above will have elevation data once it is fully loaded.

PS - Montage - where are you based?

PM me if you would rather not make it public...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
montage said:
How hilly is it?

According to C's track opened up in tracklogs, there's just over 1400m of climbing in 63 miles. There are lots of little ups and downs which aren't usually picked up by mapping programs though, and which can make it feel like more.

Top Bottom