It could only happen to me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tonight while cycling home from Church the saddle clamp bolt on my bike sheared whils't going over a raised zebra crossing. There was a sharp bang and the saddle dropped from underneath me and left me sitting on the remains of the top of the seat post, when I stopped and looked back the saddle and parts of the saddle clamp were srewn across the road. Forunatly there was no traffic about so I recovered the remains and carried on home. Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

speccy1

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wow. lucky escape there, per Speccy that could have been really nasty.

I now start wondering if a few pence on a new bolt every so often might be a good investment.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
speccy1 said:
A very good idea:biggrin:

That little incident was bl**dy painfull!! I also had to ride another 3 miles with me and the bike in that state.....it never rainsxx(:smile:

you rode on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have been a sobbing wreck, I don't do pain well

Headgardener said:
Tonight while cycling home from Church the saddle clamp bolt on my bike sheared whils't going over a raised zebra crossing. There was a sharp bang and the saddle dropped from underneath me and left me sitting on the remains of the top of the seat post, when I stopped and looked back the saddle and parts of the saddle clamp were srewn across the road. Forunatly there was no traffic about so I recovered the remains and carried on home. Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

done that before, except i landed on the back wheel

thankfully i'd only gone down the front steps of my student house and was pretty much stopped at the bottom

02GF74

Über Member
you got off very lightly. I've had two seat post snap, last one I remember I was climbing up hill off road when it went, first thing I knew about it was weh I was lying on the ground with a small scrape on the leg.

someone later pointed out it could have been very nasty as the major artery runs on the inside of the thigh.

redjedi

Über Member
It looks as it I escaped lightly as well. Luckily for me mine broke while I was re-greasing the seatpost, and the clamp crumbled while doing it up.

I did think what would happen if it broke while cycling, but just assumed that the seat would slide all the way down

Looks like I was mistaken :headshake:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
About 10 years ago, the saddle clamp bolt sheared on one of my bikes and the saddle fell off. Fortunately, I was able to keep control of the bike and to avoid giving myself impromptu rectal surgery!

I was on one of the big hills close to home. After lowering the seatpost for safety and stuffing the saddle in my back pocket, I stood on the pedals and freewheeled a couple of miles down the hill to within 150 yards of home.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yep, kind of happened to me. went over a hump and the frame snapped where the seat post goes in. we checked to see if i had the seat post out too far but it was well within the limits. we decided it was a badly designed frame, in that where the seat post entered the frame was the same width for about an inch and then opened out inside, which allowed for movement of the seat post. and i loved that bike :smile:

Top Bottom