It's a mystery...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
What does the manager of Hull FC do that the ex-manager of Spurs didn't do?

I'm not particularly interested in football per se, more in how it is that some managers, sometimes, get footballers to win matches against all expectation. For example (thanks to Wikipedia for facts):

In 1992, Mike Walker was promoted from youth team coach to first team manager at Carrow Road and gave Norwich City their highest ever finishing position (third) and qualification for the UEFA Cup, after leading the league for most of the season. They went on to beat Bayern Munich in Munich, possibly the finest moment in their history.

This apparently outstanding manager then went to Everton, where he was eventually sacked having spent just ten months in charge and recorded only six league wins, the worst record of any post-war Everton manager. Why?

Walker was brought back to Norwich in 1996 by new owner Delia Smith, but was decidedly unable to recreate his success in the environment in which he had formerly done so well. Why?

beancounter

NickM said:
What does the manager of Hull FC do that the ex-manager of Spurs didn't do?

Hull have no superstar players but they are strong and well organised, they all know their roles and they're all pulling for the team.

Spurs have talented individuals but are a complete bunch of lightweights and no team spirit at all. Ramos was playing players out of position and couldn't / didn't make his tactics understood.

Imo.

bc

ChrisKH

Guru
It's all about creating the best environment in which a particular team can win IMO. If anyone has ever read Clive Woodward's autobiography of his time in rugby will know what I mean. It's not just about preparing the team but every aspect that surrounds the players. You get this right, it's only the team who are to blame. Let's be honest, many managers are fall guys because of a lack of funding, internal politics, or the owners having a lack of vision, etc.. But I daresay there are some bad managers out there as well. Who's to know the real reason that each manager gets the boot?

Maz

Guru
I think Norwich had some cracking players in the early 90s (Chris Sutton, Jeremy Goss, Raul Fox, Efan Ekoku). They gelled really well and had great team spirit.
It must be tough for a manager to go to a new club which is struggling and expect to turn results around straight away. Some manage it, though- like Harry Redknapp yesterday!

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
It's all about creating the best environment in which a particular team can win IMO...

I'm sure that has a great deal to do with it... but when Mike Walker's Second Coming was brought about by the Blessed Delia, for some reason it didn't result in Norwich conquering the world :biggrin:

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Maz said:
I think Norwich had some cracking players in the early 90s (Chris Sutton, Jeremy Goss, Raul Fox, Efan Ekoku). They gelled really well and had great team spirit.

Yet they had great players in the late 1970s - Martin Peters, Kevin Keelan, Jimmy Neighbour, Graham Paddon, Justin Fashanu... and never achieved anything beyond top-flight survival...

Kovu

Über Member
It's about the team as a whole. There's no one you have ever heard of in the Hull side, but they all want the win. Besides I guess it's first year's luck, but Hull have got very lucky. No doubt the table will have sorted itself out after christmas.

I still remember when Hull used to lose to my team in the good old days of league three.

PaulB

Legendary Member
NickM said:
You mean that nothing much is expected of Hull? If that changes, will they implode?

Not just Hull but most of those examples you mentioned.

Look at Havant and Waterlooville in the FA cup last season. I think Hull are making the most of their first ever stay in the top flight and I for one wish them all the very, very best.

Kovu

Über Member
PaulB said:
Not just Hull but most of those examples you mentioned.

Look at Havant and Waterlooville in the FA cup last season. I think Hull are making the most of their first ever stay in the top flight and I for one wish them all the very, very best.

Yeah they are doing brillaint ... but by the end of the season the table will sort itself out no doubt. I mean come on! Who can see a Valencia v Hull champions league coming?

And the FA cup is always expected to produce shock ties like that, I mean Barnsely could have gone the whole way, that's the magic of the FA cup.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Doing well in a one-off FA cup tie is one thing, Kingston-Upon-Hull FC have not only fought their way to the top of their previous league, they fought out the play-offs, and have now played EIGHT games in the premiership championship contest, and find themselves in a lowly.......THIRD PLACE, bettered only (for the moment) by Liverpool City and Chelsea United.

If I was a chairman at teams like Manchester's Athletic and Rovers, or peanut, I'd be moving my money to a winning team.....quick!

Kovu

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:
Doing well in a one-off FA cup tie is one thing, Kingston-Upon-Hull FC have not only fought their way to the top of their previous league, they fought out the play-offs, and have now played EIGHT games in the premiership championship contest, and find themselves in a lowly.......THIRD PLACE, bettered only (for the moment) by Liverpool City and Chelsea United.

If I was a chairman at teams like Manchester's Athletic and Rovers, or peanut, I'd be moving my money to a winning team.....quick!

Aren't they joint second with chelsea actually? :rolleyes:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Quote Kovu:

"I'm a football fan. I'll admit that, and surprisingly I know a hell of a lot about it........"

Kovu said:
Aren't they joint second with chelsea actually? :laugh:

I'm not a football fan, I know next to naff all about it, but I believe there is a small triviality called...errrr..............GOAL DIFFERENCE????? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom