It's a small world!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

mate of mine went travelling all over the world and after a year never heard anything. Got word from his brother he had settled in Australia as Scuba diving instructor. 3 years later walking down Temple Bar on a weekend in Dublin and all I hear is my name getting shouted. He's standing on the door of The Clarence Hotel kidding on he's a bouncer to the nightclub. He'd only popped over to Ireland to get a girl he liked to come to Oz with him. Her parents wanted to meet him and all that.

It was the only night he had and would be out in Dublin and I just happened to be there. He was still a w*nker!! spent the whole night sponging off me ;):biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's a small world indeed, but you wouldn't want to paint it.

When I worked for Goretex, I was doing some training in Flagstaff, Arizona, far from home. On the Saturday, the other trainees all went to the Grand Canyon but I decided to go uphill instead and I climbed Arizona's highest mountain, Humphrey's Peak. En-route, I stopped off at a supermarket to get some food and water and there was a lad shopping in there wearing a Manchester City shirt. I'd been sans English company for more than two weeks so I asked this lad if he was from Manchester. "No mate, I'm from Oldham" he replied. I said, "My mate Richard Fletcher's a city fan from Oldham" and the lad went, "Oh, you mean Oz!" Richard had lived in Australia for ten years and Oz was indeed his nickname! The lad was stopping off there to stock up for his journey to Vegas with his family.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Sixteen years ago my brother's flatmate moved back to Australia, we'd all got on really well but after a few house moves my brother and I lost touch with him. This year I saw a review of a play at the Edinburgh Festival called from Bombay to Beijing by Bicycle by someone with the same name. It was the same guy - he'd come over from Oz specifically for the festival. He wasn't a cyclist when I knew him so it's a cycling related-coincidence - thanks to email we might have a bit more success at keeping in touch this time.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
I spent six months in Sydney (playing cricket) in 1990. I was visiting a mate in his office Friday afternoon on the way to the pub. As we took the lift down from the 10th floor, the lift stopped at the 3rd, the doors opened, some folks got in, and a girl standing outside looked in and said in a strong Aussie accent 'I know you' pointing to ME. I was trying to recall 'encounters' at parties in Earl's Court and the Oktoberfest, but the doors shut and down we went.

Being curious, I went back to the 3rd floor and she was still there. It turned out that she was my best mate at school's (ca 1975) cousin and had emigrated to Australia 10 years before. What's the chances of that? ;)

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I once went to visit some friends at Chester college. One of my friend's friends had a distinctive surname and came from a village near to where my Dad was brought up in Yorkshire. Turns out she was the daughter of his best friend from school!

The following evening someone else did the "I know you from somewhere..." thing on my then boyfriend. After elimintating any drunken one night stands it transpired that her sister had been his doubles badminton partner several years before and several hundred miles away.

Not as odd as the overseas ones, but spooky nonetheless ;).

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
I was strolling down the main street in Victoria on Vancouver Island and I met a woman I used to work with in Brentwood eight years earlier. She was on her holidays.

And only a few weeks earlier, I met a Norwegian girl on Fiji who worked with my best mate's sister in Oslo!

There's more; later.

Greedo

Can't wait!

Dayvo said:
I was strolling down the main street in Victoria on Vancouver Island and I met a woman I used to work with in Brentwood eight years earlier. She was on her holidays.

And only a few weeks earlier, I met a Norwegian girl on Fiji who worked with my best mate's sister in Oslo!

There's more; later.

Mr Pig

Just over twenty year ago I moved out of my mother's house to make my own way in the world. Just last week I went back to that house and the old crow is still there! Not even slightly dead or anything.

Even remembers my name. Amazing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Best small world story I ever came across was in a profile of Richard Madeley in The Guardian a few weeks back:

Richard Madeley embarks on a family history that could be lifted straight from a Thomas Hardy novel. We begin in the early 20th century with his great-grandfather, Henry Madeley.

The impoverished Henry was desperate to emigrate from England to Canada with his wife and seven children, and make a new start, but they did not have the money. In 1907, Henry approached his brother William, a farmer, for financial help. William, who was unmarried, told him he would give him the money on one condition - Henry should give him his 10-year-old son, Geoffrey, to work on the farm in Shawbury, just outside Shrewsbury. When Geoffrey woke up one morning, his parents and six brothers and sisters were nowhere to be seen. They had left for Canada without a word.

In 1917, Geoffrey enlisted and was sent to the trenches. On the way to the south coast, his train pulled up at Crewe alongside a train full of Canadian soldiers. He wondered whether his brothers, whom he'd not seen for a decade, could be on the train, scoffed at the idea, but went to look anyway. Of course, he found them.

gbb

Legendary Member
A guy i used to go to Nottingham Forest matches with went to the States, visited the WTC...i believe you have had to go up several flights of escalators, before you got to the lifts.
On the way down, he was behind a couple of women...
one of them said to the other 'shall we go get some dockey' (round here its a break, tea, something to eat etc etc)

He said ' hey girls...you must be from Spalding way'

They turned round...and one of them was a girl he went out with 20 years before :sad::ohmy::ohmy:

buggi

Bird Saviour
that's cruel to leave one kid behind!

my mate went to Australia and met a girl in a bar who, it turned out, lived just round the corner from said mate in England. They had spent 20 years living almost next door and never met, then both went to Australia and met in a bar. They ended up travelling round together and became firm friends.

have you noticed that most of these stories include Australia. weird huh?

gbb

Legendary Member
On holiday a few years ago, in Kos.
At the airport in Kos, there were horrendous delays with local fog....airport was full to brimming. We gave up queuing and just sat on the floor for a couple of hours. I sat there, looking at this winding, static queue....looked along it, and close to the check in desks was....my neighbours daughters boyfriend :sad:

Walking along Lido Di Jesolo's 15 km. beach I met my first cousin walking the other way. We hadn't seen each other for 5 years!

And.....

Riding the Tour Of Pembroke I passed a bloke on a very swish Parlee, told him "nice bike" and carried on. Passed him again doing the Dragon ride the following week said that it "was still a nice bike" and carried on. Passed him again the following week doing the Merlin ride going up the Black Mountain, but I thought I'd wait at the top for a mate to catch me up. Parlee rider stops to catch his breath and starts chatting as you do. "Where you from then?" he asks. "Swansea." says I. "Oh, I used to live there. My father was a doctor." he says.
"Where?" I ask. "Landore." he says. "Not Dr. Bowles?" I ask. "Yes." he says. "He was our doctor. You're David Bowles!" I say. "Good God its a small world." he replies. "Your mother taught me in school too." he adds as he pedals off!

Top Bottom