I've found the secret performance enhancer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Out on a solo ride I usually average 14.4 mph, come wind, rain or shine. Today I went out and found I was going like a train; I felt strong and was spinning in a good smooth fast style, my average for the 25 mile ride was 15 mph.

So what was different? Last night we nipped across the road to a neighbour's house and, er, had a drink or two. In fact I must have necked the best part of a bottle of Merlot. Wasn't feeling 100% this morning until I got on the bike....

My riding buddy certainly enjoys a few glasses of red and he always has a slight edge on me. Could this be his secret?

Steve H

Large Member
Can't say it has ever worked for me!

Think you need to repeat the test again. I wonder how fast you could go the morning after two bottles?:wacko:

r80

Last night we nipped across the road to a neighbour's house and, er, had a drink or two. In fact I must have necked the best part of a bottle of Merlot.

Is that a euphemism or were you just getting drunk?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Erm, my neighbour was trying to get me drunk. By the time of the fortnightly recycling bin collection their wheelie bin is always full to the brim with wine bottles with a few more in a box on top.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you really want to see speed gains use a standard bike computer,for £50 i can 100 % guarantee i can double your recorded speed and it only involves a small addition to your wheel , not compatible with any other device ,especially anyone else who happens to be riding with you :smile:
looks like this ,with 2 on you will see significant gains ...
99232011-260x260-0-0_Cateye+Fitness+CatEye+Bike+Computer+Wheel+Magnet+1.jpg

BJH

Über Member
I have been experimenting wit this for many years and can confirm that it definitely makes you quicker, sadly only on downward sections when I can pretty much guarantee that my weight sees me going past everyone I ever ride with.

pauldavid

Veteran
I think your mistaken, there's no way a bottle of wine the night before a ride is going to have an effect your speed.

I can however confirm that a heavy session on cheap brandy that would have been better utilised as paint stripper did affect my ride yesterday.

It's probable from my short study on this that brandy will never make it onto the banned performance enhancing drugs list. Must go, the toilet beckons again................

sddg7tfl

My "winter training bike" (mudguards/lights/steel forks/etc) has a DSLR case fitted to carry a camera during daylight rides.
On nighttime rides i use the case for carrying performance enhancers.

Probably the best bike in fenland....
20130105 Junk 005.jpg

S1mon

know its an old post but in cycling weekly this week there is a mention of it being banned as can enhance!!!!

This was years ago when I was going through a jogging stage. New years eve I made a resolution: next year I will run for an hour non-stop. The next morning I woke up, and felt a little poorly, so went for a walk to try to clear my head. After about an hour, I was feeling a little better so upped the pace to slow run. 60 minutes later, I was still going. So met my new year's resolution within 12 hours, with a hangover!

It is a wonder drug.

Top Bottom