Jeremy Vine "Have you been blinded by bike lights?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
If a cyclist coming towards you has a light that is so bright that you can't see anything other than the light, then that is what people mean by being blinded. How is that a good thing, that you can't see what is coming towards you and you can't see where you are going? As @summerdays, I have had to completely stop, until people have passed me, then wait for my eyes to adjust. Sometimes, I slow down and put my hand up to shield my face from the person's light.
I have a bright light for unlit paths and roads but if anyone comes towards me, I turn it down or put my hand over it.

... it is so simple

If a cyclist is blindingly visible than you can't claim that you didn't see them.

Reduce the lighting to the quality of a Glow worm and you have a reasonable argument when you fail to look and knock the cyclist off

... it is so simple

If a cyclist is blindingly visible than you can't claim that you didn't see them.

Reduce the lighting to the quality of a Glow worm and you have a reasonable argument when you fail to look and knock the cyclist off
Yes it is so simple, the Germans seem to have mastered it hence why so many of their lights receive praise and are used over here, particularly it seems by Audaxers who also use their hub dynamos. The bike lighting manufacturers are missing an opportunity here, the first one to produce an affordable front light that has a dipped beam and a main beam as per a vehicle will make a fortune. The technology has existed for years, unfortunately at present until the law changes 'boys and their toys" and squillions of lumens [which is an inaccurate measurement for a road light anyway] will continue.

400bhp

Guru
I am sure some cyclists do use their bright lights to annoy drivers.

Yes, they do and I recall, rather freqently, commnents on here about the individuals pointing their lights in drivers rear view mirrors of they had done something that was "disagreeable".

oldstrath

Über Member
Yes, they do and I recall, rather freqently, commnents on here about the individuals pointing their lights in drivers rear view mirrors of they had done something that was "disagreeable".

How frightful. How much more frightful than using a few tonnes of metal to frighten or injure people it is to maliciously shine a light at someone. it's a light, not a farking death ray!

Top Bottom