Jump Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Mate of mine wants to start cycling and has been offered one of these by a guy at work:

mantra1.jpg

Saracen Mantra. Long travel fork, weighs 40lb, I just don't think it's ideal for general purpose riding. More like a BMX with gears. What do you think?

It's a good price, the bike is almost new, but I just don't think it's what he needs.

What kind of riding does he want to do? If it's not dirt jumping or 4X I wouldn't get this. It's too heavy and the angles are all wrong for general purpose mtb.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Kirstie said:
It's too heavy and the angles are all wrong for general purpose mtb.

That's exactly what I said to him last night. 40lb, good grief! He doesn't know what he wants to do with it but obviously he'll be mostly riding the back roads etc.

Greedo

What kind of post is this????

Who cares about your 'mate'???

Stupid, stupid post.

Mr Pig said:
Mate of mine wants to start cycling and has been offered one of these by a guy at work:

mantra1.jpg

Saracen Mantra. Long travel fork, weighs 40lb, I just don't think it's ideal for general purpose riding. More like a BMX with gears. What do you think?

It's a good price, the bike is almost new, but I just don't think it's what he needs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With a bike that heavy he might start cycling but he won't go on beyond the first ride. Don't underestimate how unfit he will be; it will kill him.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
It'd be like riding round on the roads on a moto-x bike. Soft suspension, knobbly tyres, uncomfortable riding position. GREAT off road, not the best on-road. We were talking about this in work yesterday as a guy in work had to use his mountain bike as the rear mech had self destructed on his road bike. He couldn't get over the loud 'hum' from the tyres as he was cycling to work, let alone the poor cornering and slow steering. The mountain-bike-on-the-road craze was great when I was a kid but I wouldn't ride one as a road machine any more.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
With a bike that heavy he might start cycling but he won't go on beyond the first ride.

The guy selling it used it three times! ;0)

He won't want a road bike, it's all dirt tracks round our way. Thanks for the advice :0)

Top Bottom