just got my new winter hack....woohooo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Been looking for a winter bike for some time now. I have a Bianchi CtoC for the summer rides but didnt fancy ruining it in winter.

So did some bidding on second hand bikes on E-Bay and after a few failures managed to win a Dawes Flambeux. £120.

It has just arrived....its had the frame completely stripped and powdercoated a light blue - has new 'Giant' carbon forks, new groupset, new brakes, crank, wheels, tryes, seat, bar tape, stem, cables, chain.

Its an absolute cracker. It looks brand new, even though the bloke i bought it from says the frame is about 1960's.

Also i couldnt believe how light it is......its a steel frame but doesnt feel as though it weighs much more than my full carbon Bianchi.

Im absolutely chuffed. I will post pictures of it soon.

Does anyone know what the frame material of this model Dawes was ....?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
probably 531?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
got-to-get-fit said:
Been looking for a winter bike for some time now. I have a Bianchi CtoC for the summer rides but didnt fancy ruining it in winter.

So did some bidding on second hand bikes on E-Bay and after a few failures managed to win a Dawes Flambeux. £120.

It has just arrived....its had the frame completely stripped and powdercoated a light blue - has new 'Giant' carbon forks, new groupset, new brakes, crank, wheels, tryes, seat, bar tape, stem, cables, chain.

Its an absolute cracker. It looks brand new, even though the bloke i bought it from says the frame is about 1960's.

Also i couldnt believe how light it is......its a steel frame but doesnt feel as though it weighs much more than my full carbon Bianchi.

Im absolutely chuffed. I will post pictures of it soon.

Does anyone know what the frame material of this model Dawes was ....?

Was that the one being sold in Dagenham or that sought of area ? If so it looked like a nice bike.

Melvil

I once owned a Dawes Stratos and it went like absolute stink. All you had to do was put a bit more oomph on the pedals and it just zoomed. Fab.

So it was a real shame I crashed it and the collapsing forks bent the downtube almost 45 degrees!

Congrats on your hack GTGF!

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Was that the one being sold in Dagenham or that sought of area ? If so it looked like a nice bike.

yes thats the one .... light blue with a complete sypathtic makeover. only thing i might change are the black carbon forks .....although as its just a winter commuter i might not bother

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
probably 531?
Does (Reynolds) 531 refer to a type of frame? Do they still make them?

There's a bike at work I see parked next to mine sometimes - a 'Black Diamond' - not sure what make. It has gear-shifters on the ends of the drops. Oldish frame from the look of it, but it still looks the biz.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
Does (Reynolds) 531 refer to a type of frame? Do they still make them?

There's a bike at work I see parked next to mine sometimes - a 'Black Diamond' - not sure what make. It has gear-shifters on the ends of the drops. Oldish frame from the look of it, but it still looks the biz.

yes, reynolds 531 is a good quality steel used for frame building. pretty retro these day. my winter bike frame is reynolds 531.

Top Bottom