Just had a smart meter fitted and my gas bill on the display is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
£16450 and it's just shot up to £43952 within the last ten minutes.
The electric seems to be working fine..
It's only been fitted an hour ago. and on the electric I've used 10p
I've just called EDF about my mild concerns and said it can take up to 14 days for the gas readings to settle correctly.
It looks like it's going to be beans on toast and a card box box to live in from now on.

£16450 and it's just shot up to £43952 within the last ten minutes.
The electric seems to be working fine..
It's only been fitted an hour ago. and on the electric I've used 10p
I've just called EDF about my mild concerns and said it can take up to 14 days for the gas readings to settle correctly.
It looks like it's going to be beans on toast and a card box box to live in from now on.

I would sned an email or letter to them ASAP so it is recorded
Look up their complaints procedure and make it a formal complain as these are tracked - make sure you use the word COMPLAINT prominently (I did it once with a bank and didn;t use the word so it was treated as just a moan!!)

AT least then you have a formal record of the problem if it doesn;t settle down - and if it does then you have not wasted much energy

Hopefully it will sort itself out but just in case.....

Good luck

Baldy

Über Member
I've had a smart meter for about six years, it's never worked properly. I still have to email in meter readings every quarter. Scottish power have so many useless meters they've given up trying to fix them.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Funny you should mention Scottish Power. We had a smart meter fitted when we were with them years ago and our bills just shot up. We didn't get any real sense from them and ended up moving to another provider. The meters reverted to being dumb meters as none of the successive providers could connect to their network. Strangely, sending in readings manually resulted in the bills coming down. Now the power companies are touting "second generation" smart meters we are not even remotely tempted to change until we have to. Life is hard enough.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @biggs682
Was that a slight typo on your behalf as to saying it took some time to give the correct reading's..
When the smart meter installer came she wrote all my old meter readings and stuck them on to the boxes as a fail safe.My hair is turning white is I'm typing this 😲

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's settled down now and showing I've used 50p of gas instead of £43000 worth..

Is your smart meter trading in bitcoin?

steverob

Guru
The engineer who came out to set up my smart meter plugged in the little display gadget but as soon as he was gone, I unplugged it and threw it in the back of a cupboard. The actual 'smart' bit of it doesn't need the device, it will still send the meter readings to the company regardless, so I can check them online whenever I want to.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi @biggs682
Was that a slight typo on your behalf as to saying it took some time to give the correct reading's..
When the smart meter installer came she wrote all my old meter readings and stuck them on to the boxes as a fail safe.My hair is turning white is I'm typing this 😲

No typo .

I think from memory the first few days the smart meter was all over the place and then settled down.

We also made sure the supplier had our readings and accepted them .

presta

Guru
I could save £280 a year, but only if I switch to a smart meter:

1709651775290.png

Top Bottom