Just ONE Brake ; Front Brake Only ; Back Brake Missing / Disengaged = Illegal ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hornchurch

'

This MAY cause some controversy - Not my intention - But I'd like to ask fellow-forumites.....

What's your stance on using "Front Brake Only" or, even the general-outlook of what I'm about to post, at speeds of "sub 15-mph"

I've just answered a lass named Helen (on another forum), who stated,

"It's Illegal to have Front Brake Only here, in the U.K" = Is this true ?

BTW ; Am NOT advocating it, just, merely curious !

Whilst some (here), may/might be mortified by my response, I gave my reasonings

I've been cycling since 1968, owned a 26in 'Racer' (Road Bike) since 1972 - Been a professional M/cycle instructor since 1996 - (Issuing CBT & DAS courses)

So, have been around for a while & a few "hundered thousand miles", yet, my views MIGHT cause howls of derision !

Bear in mind I'm NO 'spring-chicken' & majoritively, my cycling speeds ARE around 12mph to 15mph 'max' - (So, NOT your speed, lads/lasses !)

>>>>>>>>>> Here was my reply, even "if" it doesn't match the views of your own, as YOUR circumstances, differ from mine....

"Is having the back-brake NOT engaged (to be used), Illegal, or NOT ?" - Here's what I wrote/replied.....

Also remember that it's legal in the Netherlands just to have one brake

But that would be illegal here so choose carefully if you go the Dutch route.

Is that really truthfully so ? (BTW, "loving" your avatar, Helen !)

Can anyone actually prove it AND actually point to me, where it says that, legally, in print ?

Jamie Whitham
was a famous Yorkshire British Motorcycle Champion during the late 1980's & early 1990's

He also ended-up "doing the commentary" on the British rounds, seen on the well-known channel, "I.T.V"

Back in the days when HE was a 'Champion Racer', he ONLY ever used to use the front-brakes (twin-discs)

When I wuz a professional M/cycle Instructor, we were also told, that....

"Due to forward motion AND inertia, your FRONT BRAKES equate to at least 75% of your stopping power"

Meanwhile, Back Brakes are merely "dragging inertia" & constitute only 25% of an M/cycle's stopping-power/force.

Now, given that cycles (pushbikes), ARE infinitely SLOWER that a 120+mph M/cycle, I cannot see it being "different", huh ?

Perhaps I'm "too ingrained" with what I was taught (D.S.A = Driving Standards Agency)

Even the SLOWEST bikes (on 'Direct-Access' courses), were 500cc M/cycles, infinitely faster than ANY pushbike or cycle

I've been 'cycling' (pushbikes) since 1968 & have only ever been stopped ONCE, waaay back in 1972

That's because I'm tall (& was then) & was caught "riding on the pavement" - I wuz eleven yrs old

Meanwhile, March 2022, I purchased THREE pushbikes (2 x Road Bikes & 1 x MTB) this year & ALL are/have been serviced

The cycle (Claud Butler MTB) I've had since 1998 is still mint, but, I've disconnected the back-brake entirely & only "temporarily"

Mild kink, brake-binding, haven't had chance to sort it, yet (but will)

Are you ACTUALLY saying Helen, that, in the remote unlikelyhood that I WILL get stopped, I'm running illegal ?

I'd like to clarify that (please), as I fear that, Jamie Whitham (at OVER a regular 120mph) seemed to know what he's doing.

Meantime, Fat-A$$ "Me", traveling at around a meagre 15mph, has never felt "in danger", nor compromised by lack of rear-brake !

(remember folks, this IS on just ONE of my FIVE cycles - The others (other four), are "regularly-aspirated", brakes Front & Back, working)

Bike in question looks immaculate, works just fine - Does it for me - Been riding it since June 1998 & am still here, intact.

Long ago, I was told that the rear-wheel (Pushbike, or, M/cycle), is actually DRAGGING inertia, so, only constitutes 25% "At Best"

Lastly, I used to earn my weekly-wage & pay my mortgage URGING M/cyclists NOT to "snatch the front brakes"

(lest they fell, when I wuz teaching them "Emergency Stops" for their actual forthcoming M/cycle Driving-Test - Test Centre)

Once again, lastly, am NOT adovcating "Front Brake Useage Only" (tho' works for ME !)

Just purely curious to see "IF" it's actually "Illegal" to be/have Front-brake only, according to U.K Law ?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How do you do 'skids' without a back brake.

Oh and yep it is illegal to not have 2 ways of stopping the bike but the chance of being 'done' is miniscule.
I wouldn't want to be on that bike if the front brake cable broke though :eek:

Good morning,

Specifically on legality I would type cycle brakes site:legislation.gov.uk into Google, and possibly do a few more searches to see if there have been any cases doubting what I think the results say.

This would give you, yes you need brakes on both wheels unless one is a fixie, or it is a kids bike (max saddle height of 63.5cm).

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Copied from the ‘Dutch bike’ thread, as was Hornchurch’s:

Of course the chance you getting stopped for only having one brake are almost nil as @Hornchurch says but if you are involved in an accident without one then the other person’s insurers could argue your bike did not meet the legal requirement for braking and reduce your compensation. Should the accident be your fault that would then increase your culpability.

Also given a few answers on the Dutch bike thread. Not legal but unlikely to get caught. Your choice but I'm going for two brakes so even if the rear is less effective I at least have a degree of redundancy.

BTW rear brake is not always significantly less effective. Recumbent bikes often brake well with rear or front brakes due to long wheelbase and other reasons.

It does all come down to what you're comfortable using. Front only then your choice but with the risks outlined here and on the Dutch bike thread.

One last question. Do you think it's OK to pick and choose what laws and regulations you follow just because you can get away with it? I'm sure we all do not we probably all know we're in the wrong doing it but perhaps a few people don't see it that way. Just curious and mean no offence by the query.

Sharky

Guru
One last question. Do you think it's OK to pick and choose what laws and regulations you follow just because you can get away with it? I'm sure we all do not we probably all know we're in the wrong doing it but perhaps a few people don't see it that way. Just curious and mean no offence by the query.

Interesting point. But think back to when red flashing lights were illegal. Most of us ignored the law as the flashing lights were far superior and made us more visible. Eventually the law was changed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A lot of dutch bikes have a coaster brake on the rear, which might be confusing some people

I've had the front brake go on my road bike (frayed cable at a frame entry point I hadn't spotted) , its quite alarming just using rear brake only in a hilly area, but nursed it home and replaced the cable.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting point. But think back to when red flashing lights were illegal. Most of us ignored the law as the flashing lights were far superior and made us more visible. Eventually the law was changed.
Yeahbut that was a increased safety feature. Losing one brake could hardly be classed as such.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is son no. 2's fixie at a time trial; it's legal because it has a front brake plus being fixed wheel:

PXL_20220101_100535092.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm a bit baffled by the OP. What has a rider's opinion on the most effective method of braking at high speed on a motorcycle under race conditions got to do with the law regarding roadworthiness of a pushbike?

Two brakes give you redundancy in case of failure, whether you regularly use one or the other or both. Braking technique is a separate discussion to the law.

ETA: I've no idea what the regulations are regarding motorcycle racing but I'd be willing to bet good money that they include having a working rear brake.

Last edited:
I am not sure if the OP is meaning a bike with only one means of stopping / reducing speed such as a normal road bike with one brake or a bike with two means such as fixie or one with a coaster brake. I think both are legal, however I took the OP to mean one means of reducing speed namely front brake only. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

Top Bottom