Just ordered my first road bike, need to lose weight and get fit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barndoor

Hi there,
My names carl from North Wales. I've just ordered my first road bike using the cycle2work scheme. I was limited to my bike choice as my company will only let me buy from halfords with a limit of £1000 but have chosen a carbon boardman which which I'm pleased with.
As I'm waiting for my bike to come in going to get all the accessories that I'll need, I'm a bit of a gadget fan so it would be only too easy to go buy. everything that looks good and goes "Ping". I think I may need some help!
Before I spend all my money could anyone please let me know what I actually need to start with?
Any help would please my bank manager.
Thanks,
Carl.

MikeG

Guru
Welcome to the forum, Carl.

You actually only need a bike. The other stuff comes along as it become necessary, and after you have spent hours and miles on the bike, you'll have a better idea of what you want. I'd start with a pump, bike computer and a saddle bag, and leave it at that until you are fit. Concentrate on the pedaling, not the shopping!!

Mike

Last edited:

oliglynn

Über Member
You just need kit to get you fixed up on the side of the road really to start with! No need to get a saddle bag at first if you can fit this lot in your pockets.

Essential:
Spare tubes
Tyre levers
Self adhesive puncture repair patches (for if you run out of spare tubes!)
Cycling Multi-tool (with screwdrivers, alan keys and spoke key)
Mini-pump

Nice to have too:
Chain splitter
Spare powerlink or 2
CO2 tyre inflator

This covers everything I carry on my day to day riding.

algo

Regular
Hello and welcome,

as well as the excellent suggestions above regarding maintenance, can I suggest you think about getting some waterproof gloves and possibly cycle shoes? I find if I can remain relatively dry then the weather doesn't deter me - in fact it does quite the opposite :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 2983685, member: 259"]Depends if you fit the bracket properly. :whistle:[/QUOTE]
Which reminds me ... my GPS bracket is secure, but the device rattles so much it is doing my head in! I must sort that out ASAP.

OP
OP
B

barndoor

Hi everyone,
What a friendly bunch you are.
I'm not that bothered about maps on a gps, just looking to monitor my performance (or lack of performance) :-(

Top Bottom