Just Started Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afternoon All,
Just started out. First run out was a 20km with a few (what felt horrendous, but probably weren't) uphill drags. Since then done a couple of 11km runs. Bought a 2014 TCR (in good condition), and really enjoying the bike. Being a big fella (6'1 and 16 stone), i find any climbing really difficult. Does anyone have any tips on how I should be building my stamina up and in turn my ability to take on the climbs. As the guys I am out with are decent riders, whose patience I guess will run out at some point.

Ta

S-Express

Just keep riding. Probably the best and most obvious tip you'll get. Climbing will become easier as your fitness improves - and some weight loss will also help significantly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are about the same size as I was when I started. I found the local hills tough too!

As others have said - keep riding. You would be better doing several rides a week that push your limits slightly, rather than one monster ride which leaves you so tired that you take a week off to recover! As you get fitter you will be able to do what was formerly a monster ride as one of your new regular rides ...

I found an old diary which listed my first few months of riding and reminded myself that I was going out and doing rides of only 10-20 kms. These days, my regular distances would be double that range, and I often ride a lot further.

Weight loss makes a HUGE difference on the hills. I am currently 13.5 stone and that is a much nicer weight to drag uphill! Last year I had got down to just over 12 stone and that felt great. (Unfortunately, I got a bit complacent and stuffed myself with Bakewell tarts and chocolate for a year ... :whistle:)

If you find yourself really struggling on the climbs, is it because you are gasping for breath, or because you can't turn the pedals easily enough? If the former, then you will just have to be patient, slow down a bit, and build your fitness. If the latter, then you may be able to fit lower gears to help you until you get fit enough not to need them! (What gearing do you currently have? Number of teeth on the chainrings at the front and on the sprockets (cogs) at the back.)

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
As others have said, just keep riding. I'm still a newbie myself. On my daily commute, there is a pretty steep/long hill that leads to my work place. When I first started doing the ride, I had to walk most of it. Every day I set myself a goal as to where I would aim to cycle, a bit further up the hill each time. Within a week, I was cycling it in it's entirety. You could try something like that?

OP
OP
M

mancnewbie143

Regular
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Big Andy, you must have some engine mate !! I was blowing up a 0.5k 3-4 % before. Sure it will all come in time.

Im not exhausted when I get back from any ride so far. Just seem to run out of steam in the legs as soon as there is a progressive rise

OP
OP
M

mancnewbie143

Regular
Thanks Andy, Ill have to see what the bike can take. I recall one of the guys I'm riding with saying it was a compact set and all the kit around it is Ultergra (not sure how much diff that makes).

Back out on Tuesday night though... keep it going

:welcome:
I just had a quick look at the Giant 2014 TCR range (excluding any with 52-53/39 chainsets) those I saw had a cassette of either a 34x25 or 34x28 low gear combination I didn't see what type of R.D. it might have if it is a G.S. cage (medium, S.S. is short) it should be simple enough to change that to a 32th low gear on the rear, though it is likely you will need a new chain if you have a rear 25th large cog this will make a huge difference not so much if you have a 28th large rear, but still a worth while lowering of the gearing, however if you have a S.S. R.D. you might need to change that too, again its a fairly easy job to change.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If you are riding a compact cassette you are probably running an 11-25 changing that to 11-30 will make a world of difference on the climbs. I had an 11-28 on my Boardman and was struggling on some of the steeper climbs so swapped my cassette for an 11-32, there was no need to change the chain or derailleur and hill climbing is now a lot easier.

@steve50 some came with an 11-28 depended on which version, and it will depend on the RD . The current 6800 SS cage has a range of 33th the GS 37th a 50/34 11-25 has a range of 30th so could be a SS RD, a setup with 50/34 11-32 requires a range of 37th so a GS RD would be advisable

:welcome:. Make the most of the downhills, try and carry as much speed as you can onto the uphill bit, then I find it's easier to carry any remaining momentum / not lose speed suddenly, by down shifting on to the small chainring first, then down shifting on the cassette only if really needed. A lot of people who are new ( ish ) to riding, and come on the rides I lead, are often amazed how much better this feels, than to do what ( nearly every newbie I've ridden with ) automatically does, and try and faff about with the rear shifter, whilst coming to a ( not always terribly graceful) halt, on the climb. It's often ( according to what I've been told by a lot of them) a confidence issue, as shifting with the ( usually left ) shifter by default is an alien feeling.

OP
OP
M

mancnewbie143

Regular
that it was caught me out the other day, i think i went down my rear cassette ... then... shifted down with the left. Suddenly found my legs just free spinning and lost all momentum up the hill.

si_c

Guru
that it was caught me out the other day, i think i went down my rear cassette ... then... shifted down with the left. Suddenly found my legs just free spinning and lost all momentum up the hill.
That's just experience, you'll learn to plan your gear changes better as you ride more. When changing down always go up one or two at the back too.

I'm 6'5 and not that much lighter than you, I found a huge difference moving to a 32t rear cassette, with a compact crank.
But ultimately the only way to get better on hills is to do hills. I've started going out of my way to find the steepest drags on my commute home and i've really noticed the difference.

Top Bottom