Kick Back - Relax???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry but this has been bugging me.

Americans and now people over here are using the term "Kick Back" to mean relax or take it easy.

I cannot see any way that kicking anything back is relaxing or how it can describe relaxing. If I laze in a chair I have not kicked anything back either.

Does anyone here know where the term came from and how it got to mean what it means. Most american stuff is fairly easy to get to the meaning or origin but this one is not making sense to me. HELP!

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know how the interpretation you have of the 'saying' originated, but for me 'kick back' means lining the inside of your back pocket with loads of cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisKH

Guru
It always struck me as appropriate to use this term when using one of those Parker Knoll reclining chairs because that's effectively what you do (sort of).

Bill Bryson in his latest tome confirmed his father had one in the 50's and it was very fashionable. Could be from that.

Trillian

i've used a reclining chair that required the front of it being pushed back with the foot for it to recline.

just reading through the thread i was wondering if it meant kicking back against a table or whatever to tip the chair onto its rear legs

Thanks for that, I knew you would come up with an answer.

I will watch out for a re-run of Fraiser and see if his dad kicks his chair.

I have not seen those chairs elsewhere, I guess the rest of the world would be too embarrassed to buy a product called Lazy Boy.

Top Bottom