killed in collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Not good. Rip.

Saw this the other day and that road is only round the corner from me :sad:

Nothing drives these tragedies home more than when they're on roads you ride often and know intimately.

It's a great road in some respects, but it's a devil of a road in others.

R.I.P. to the poor cyclist.

To everyone else, carpe diem.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Shame to hear about this (heard about it on the day), I know a few of the blokes clubmates and ride this road regularly, easy to see how it could happen to be honest, much like the Cat and Fiddle, it is an area that attracts a lot of motorbikes.

davdandy

Not getting into the debate against bikers but if they stuck to 30mph up that lane this most likely would not have happened.I frequently use Sheephouse lane and far too often see these nutters riding like they are on the IOM TT.Most are good law abiding but there are cretins who think they are above the law.

Ganymede

Veteran
"The 43-year-old, believed to be from St. Helens, collided with a Yamaha"

Once again I wonder who "collided" with whom. The Latin origin of the word means "to hurt by striking". In reports like these the bike is nearly always said to have "collided" with the car/bus/lorry/motorbike, which to my mind implies blame. I think it's lazy journalism but it has an insidious effect.

A sad piece of news.

400bhp

Guru
Always been a road full of motorbikes and it is a fast downhill too, fast enough to hit 50mph on a bike.

There's a corner half way down that slightly turns back in on itself. Probably happened there.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
"The 43-year-old, believed to be from St. Helens, collided with a Yamaha"

Once again I wonder who "collided" with whom. The Latin origin of the word means "to hurt by striking". In reports like these the bike is nearly always said to have "collided" with the car/bus/lorry/motorbike, which to my mind implies blame. I think it's lazy journalism but it has an insidious effect.

A sad piece of news.

The word 'collided' or 'in collision with' is used by hacks because it does not suggest any blame.

A no blame sentence is often required not least because the journalist hasn't any idea who hit whom.

An exception might be a police witness appeal in a hit and run.

Ganymede

Veteran
Exactly, think you're looking too much into it.
Maybe, but I think "he collided with it" rather than "they collided with each other" are two different things. I was trained as a copywriter so I'm very aware of nuances in sentences and while I believe this is a sloppy use of words rather than an intentional one, it paints a particular picture. And I have noticed reading CC that on nearly all such reports posted here, the cyclist is the subject of the article (quite often because the report is of his or her injuries or death) and seems always to be the one who "collides with" the vehicle.

OP
OP
noodle

noodle

turns out its someone i may have said hello to a few times over the years. ive seen a picture and vaguely recognise him. mind you he only lived a couple of miles away plus i used to be around where he lived a lot etc..

some friends new him so if any of you are in here sorry chaps and one more is thinking about his family's loss

Top Bottom