killed in collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Learnincurve

Shame to hear about this (heard about it on the day), I know a few of the blokes clubmates and ride this road regularly, easy to see how it could happen to be honest, much like the Cat and Fiddle, it is an area that attracts a lot of motorbikes.

Sunday, White and Orange Yamaha, 20 year old. Could easily be snake pass or Sherborne as well on a normal weekend although reading more from this new article the motorbike kid lost control on a corner into a sportive

RIP to the guy involved, never a good thing to hear about anyone dying in an accident whether it be on a cycle or motorcycle, too many die in that vacinity.
I ride from Rivington to Belmont quite a lot and I have been on part of the climb when a couple of cyclists came down too fast and went past me on the the wrong side of the road, I had to move into the middle of the road so they could go to my left and avoid a colision, so it is not always the motorcycles that lose control with excessive speed going downhill there.

Thats fair enough, but a few seem to think it is only the motorcycles that race around that area out of control, in my experience that is not the case.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
@Martin Archer except in this case he lost control because he went round the corner, ploughed into a sportive and killed the team GB cyclist in the lead.

I cant see anything that supports that theory. I was riding a scooter uphill recently and a peleton came down the hill and cut the entire corner out. The only place I could go was onto the grass verge. I am not saying the same thing happened in this case but it is possible.

If those bikes had hit me the same heading could have been written about me.

I think it best that the investigation is completed before the Stone slinging starts.

Mello

I am sad to say that the cyclist that was killed was one of my team mates. He was not riding in the Bolton Bash but was assisting some of the riders in that sportive. The 20 year old motorcyclist was driving too fast and lost control of his motorbike on a bend. It is not my place to judge him, I hope he fully recovers from the incident. Dave was an experience cyclist, he leaves behind a wife and daughter. My thoughts are only for their well being. On the day of the accident, I cycled over Belmont on the same road and passed a vast number of motorcyclist. The only way to prevent this thing from happen in the future is to keep cyclist and motorcyclist apart off the same roads. Unfortunately that is never going to happen.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thank you for clearing that up. My condolences.

One of the ways to prevent it is to follow the Danish way. Make high powered motorbikes too expensive for young riders. Insurance for young riders here is astronomical. Motorbiking in Denmark is mostly undertaken by the 40 - 70 age range.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Cat and Fiddle has average speed cameras on it now. I would say they have improved the way motorcycles are ridden on it. You still get the odd nutter though, like the guy who posted the video of his crash on it and was then prosecuted.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Cat and Fiddle has average speed cameras on it now. I would say they have improved the way motorcycles are ridden on it. You still get the odd nutter though, like the guy who posted the video of his crash on it and was then prosecuted.

At one time I didn't like speed cameras, road humps, 20mph limits and so on.

I rather like them now.

The relief of steering the bike into a speed restricted road from an unrestricted one is something to savour.

Top Bottom