Kilt buying tips wanted...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm in the market for a kilt. I last wore one as a nipper and it was probably a budget cut i.e.minimum cloth.

Attendance at the Knockengorroch World Ceilidh and other Celtic events over the past few years have reawakened the Celtic genes in me and I want to cause maximum mayhem and visual dissonance by purchasing the aforementioned item.

Now to cut to the chase:

I've looked up the MacFarlane tartans and they are not too exciting apart from the hunting and dress ones. I'll probably go for the Black Watch tartan as it's an 'open' tartan i.e. no clan or regional affiliation is needed to wear it.

Selecting the tartan has been easy compared with selecting a maker.

Who do I go for:

A small outfit i.e. family concern?
A flash coporate web site vendor?
Cheap end or eye wateringly expensive?
Go and get measured? - appealing as I could make a drunken weekend of it :biggrin:

Kilt wearers - I seek your counsel!

Surprisingly, my wife has not threatened me with divorce if I go ahead and acquire one. ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Kilts only look good if they are short, preferably mini-length, predominantly red and on slender females between the ages of 17 and 29 (34 if well-cared for). A dirty glint in the eye is an added bonus.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
PaulB said:
Kilts only look good if they are short, preferably mini-length, predominantly red and on slender females between the ages of 17 and 29 (34 if well-cared for). A dirty glint in the eye is an added bonus.

I've got the dirty glint....;)

Could you not just make do with these? :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I got mine via a trip to Scotchouse in London seemed extortionately expensive at the time but it's been well used. I got a formal and a tweed jacket so I can wear it at normal tie affairs and black tie evenings. It seriously helps with ventilation as well, much cooler, and no, I don't go commando.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would love to have a great kilt made with the full 9 yards. When I was married I wanted to get one made in my then wife's tartan but we split up.

Current gf is a Scot so maybe I will get another opportunity with a different tartan.

Top Bottom