knowledgable gardeners required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
I did ask. But I don't know. However, politician-like, I will evade the question by answering that I think most bonsai trees are of species that have small leaves anyway - possibly because the answer is no,they don't grow leaves in scale and a six-inch tree with six-inch leaves would just be silly.

Good answer.

I've got some stumpy oak trees that are producing leaves in proportion to their full grown size not the 18" or so I plan to keep them at.
It might take them a bit of time few years to get used to not growing any bigger, I dunno.
I did hear that the leaves shrink to suit the scale of the tree but that might have been campfire talk or from a bloke in the pub.

That trees with small leaves are normally used for bonsaing does seem to fit with what I've seen done in the past.

I was talking to a forummers dad the other weekend and admiring his diddy trees, I reckon he'd know but I forgot to ask him.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Two questions for experts to kindly answer:

I have some Schlumbergers aka Christmas Cactus. The foliage has turned from a vibrant green to a sludgey sort of pink. I have repotted them. Will they return to normal colour of foliage? Should I cut them back so that the new growth might be healthy, or have they got some disease?

Second question about Bottle Brush Plants. I would like to take some cuttings from these. What time of year is the best time of year to do this? I have several varieties, most of which have now got flower buds. Should I wait until they have finished flowering, or take cuttings now so that the new plants have plenty of time to get established before autumn?

Thank you for your help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Take the bottle brush cuttings of newish semi ripe growth tips - which would be in late summer.

Be patient, the ones I took last summer are still only about 6 inches high!

Maz

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Do you want to kill everything or just weeds?
hi
Basically, any plants it comes into contact with.

suppose its best to apply it when no rain is forecast for a couple of days or more...

ChrisKH

Guru
Maz said:
hi
Basically, any plants it comes into contact with.

suppose its best to apply it when no rain is forecast for a couple of days or more...

Jeyes fluid works well. And it will kill you also, with sufficient exposure. :evil:

Jeyes is used to steralise soil before planting seedlings and in diluted form is a very good weedkiller. In fact it will kill everything. It cleans drains rather well and clears moss from paths also.

Top Bottom