Knowledgeable Guardianers required...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I really can't be arsed to watch a vid about a plasticine garden, but what has James May done to rattle your cage? Always struck me as a decent sort of a cove...a chap a chap would be happy to have a pint or three with, what?

As you ask swee'pea - I saw him performing in the series with Oz Clarke about wine. Oz Clarke is usually quite informative but the addition of the clown that is James May devalued the programme in my eyes as it all became a bit too formulaic. But hey - if you like dozy TV then go ahead and enjoy. I hardly watch anyway, but I was looking forward to seeing and hearing and was thoroughly disappointed with the emphasis on them - not 'it'.

It's a shame you can't be arsed to watch a vid about a plasticine garden though - it is a parallel way of thinking about the thing that is The Chelsea Flower Show 'garden'. I liked the leaf mould.

Radius

SHREDDER
Well, I generally think May is a 'decent bloke' in temperament, but in terms of TV he is a bit of a program-horse (like a clothes-horse, but for TV), seems to fit to the formula required and not really add much spark, which - when offset against those who do - can seem to detract from said program. It's probably as a result of TV compaines using well known 'celebrities' for their 'informative' shows, rather than people who are knowledgeable in their fields...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I saw it on the TV last night and I can't see the point myself. I can't see what it adds to gardening and I can't see why Chelsea need media tarts playing games like James May. Maybe the BBC need it to spice up a non mainstream hobby for the masses.

edit: Sorry, that's a bit earnest!

No - that's fair comment rich. I was interested in the idea, probably extracted it from the context. I did som work at the show a while ago and it was incredible to see the preparation and total commitment of the exhibitors - and their breathtaking results.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's the Garden Merit awards tonight so it'll be interesting to see what happens. If he gets one I'm going to eat my own hollyhocks!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I thought it was a bit dull, really, although the bust of the inventor of Plasticine was funny, in its own way. But, sadly, I think Chelsea has gone to pot (now there's an idea....) with plants being squeezed out by pavilions and paving and jetties and all kinds of stuff that you know would be ripped up and replaced in three years time if anyone was ever daft enough to commission it.

But, then again, what do I know....
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34130http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=720400

rich p said:
It's the Garden Merit awards tonight so it'll be interesting to see what happens. If he gets one I'm going to eat my own hollyhocks!

a 'Special Letter' rich...worth a dandelion leaf or two..?
Did you like the Telegraph Garden? I have always had a thing about using black to contrast the natural forms in a garden - fantastic that these gardens all arrive as a kit of parts and are bedded-in for the Show.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
a 'Special Letter' rich...worth a dandelion leaf or two..?
Did you like the Telegraph Garden? I have always had a thing about using black to contrast the natural forms in a garden - fantastic that these gardens all arrive as a kit of parts and are bedded-in for the Show.

Yes, I liked the Ulf garden but it would only work in certain places. It's almost that the majority of 'celebrity' garden designers seem to want to scale down urban, civic planting and landscaping to domestic size. A lot of them (although not the DT one) seem to relegate plants a long way down the list and for me thay should be near the top.
The minimalist in me quite likes them for their visual beauty but I wouldn't actually want one behind my house for more than a week.

Top Bottom