la Fouly - anyone been there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I should think anywhere in Switzerland is worth visiting, though I have only visited the bit adjoining Austria. You'll have to parle français, you know.

Globalti

Legendary Member
But if you haven't been to Chamonix and done the trip up the Aiguille du Midi, you should. There's also some brilliant walking to the north of the valley and trips on the Mer de Glace and the Argentiere glaciers as well as the dry bob run up at the railway station. Oh, and the Maison de la Montagne, the Musée Alpin and so on.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Andy, 'did' Switzerland last year, camping by the lake at Interlaken. Splendid walking on the Jungrau massive etc. Can recommend it very highly. Not much experience of the French side though.

Fab Foodie

andyoxon said:
Thanks all. FF, did you drive there?

Hi Andy

Yes, we drove there and took camping gear.
For all of our last few years summer holidays (N. Spain x2, Southern France, Biaritz, Switzerland) we have driven, we allow 2 days to do between 10 and 12 hours of driving once off the ferry. We go gentle and have frequent rest breaks. Accomodation-wise en-route we stay (or crash-out more like) at Formule 1's. They sleep 3 to a room, are cheap and cheerful and plentiful, often near some wonderful French towns. The other "Advantage" is they are usually within staggering distance of a McDonalds or a Buffalo-Grill chain or similar. Frankly, after a days travel we're all happy for a Big Mac meal and an early night. The cheap F1 brekkie is just right too for an early start.

Ferry-wise we've done both Portsmouth and Dover and it's six of one and half dozen of the other really having done all the permutations.

Think we're hauling the tent to N. Spain again this year, sun sea and surf!

Manor Farm Intelaken can be booked through many companies, like Eurocamps, Canvas Hols etc. Here is their own site. It has 2 fields either side of the road, we stayed at the half furthest from the lake which was beautifully peace-ful and only a 5 min walk to the waters edge. The Walking in the area under the Eiger etc is stunning!
The lake is a nice cool swim!

http://www.manorfarm.ch/

Fab Foodie

andyoxon said:
Thanks FF. Out of interest what ferry times did you go for the recent Suisse trip. Does the the sleep three room hotel allow an occupancy of 4 people?

I think we aimed for something like 10.30 Ferries outwards from Dover, or 0730 ish from Portsmouth and say 1800 to 1900 returns. Based on having about 5 to 6 hours rolling-time on the road each day, plus say 3 to 4 twenty minute breaks. Off the ferry mid-day, arrive at overnight stop say 2000 hrs latest, check-in, grab McD's (and thankfully French McD's sell beer!) and bed by 2200.
The F1 hotels are 3 person/room max, but they're very cheap per room per night, so it's not too bad a cost.
http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html

I know people who do the trip in 1 hit by starting at say midnight with sleeping kids, but my lot aren't keen. Once you're over the channel, it's about the same as driving to Aberdeen!

If you want to see some piccies of the Interlaken area be pleased to show you some, got the maps/walking route guides etc.

Cheers
FF.

Top Bottom