Ladies Raleigh Chiltern Restore Log

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I'm led to beleive it was wonderful weather here too. But unfortunately, Saturday and Sunday, I'm up at 4:15am and work 6-6 :-(
I'm hoping the next few days will be nice.

young Ed

Veteran
I'm led to beleive it was wonderful weather here too. But unfortunately, Saturday and Sunday, I'm up at 4:15am and work 6-6 :-(
I'm hoping the next few days will be nice.
you work sat+sun then?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Guess what I just did a again...!!!

IMG_8280.JPG

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Frame and forks all finished off now, eventually.
Not the best paint job in the world, but I never claimed to be an expert.. ;)

20140402_152747_Android_zps36113204.jpg

20140402_185039_Android_zps84badea5.jpg

I finally remembered about this part too ;)

20140402_185257_Android_zpse2e80b3d.jpg

Next up, polishing and scrubbing all the chrome.. And by the looks of it, sanding all the rust and crap of the wheels, and plasting them with some paint too.

Re grease the bearings, get it together, new cables installed and outer cable housing, and put it all together.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Looks like you painted over the paint, with a bit of a sand and clean beforehand?? Why didn't I do this. I tried to strip the frame with Nitromors, now I have a patchy uneven disaster on my hands. Have resorted to sand paper to smooth out the mess. Then primer, then paint, SHINY BLACK PAINT with 100 COATS of lacquer. Love what you have done.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Looks like you painted over the paint, with a bit of a sand and clean beforehand?? Why didn't I do this. I tried to strip the frame with Nitromors, now I have a patchy uneven disaster on my hands. Have resorted to sand paper to smooth out the mess. Then primer, then paint, SHINY BLACK PAINT with 100 COATS of lacquer. Love what you have done.

My original plan was to strip it.

I stripped a mud guard, primed it, painted it, sealed it.

I then thought how much of a ball ache it would be to do it to the entire frame; so I cheated. I sanded it, primed it, sanded it, primed it, painted it, sealed it. The over all finish is not bad at all.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

I started to slack, I got busy doing other stuff so had to put this on hold.

How ever, all painting is now done (apart from a couple of minor touch ups)... And new bearings installed.

Now I have to make a start on the silver work....
IMG_8324.JPG

cbs

I started to slack, I got busy doing other stuff so had to put this on hold.

How ever, all painting is now done (apart from a couple of minor touch ups)... And new bearings installed.

Now I have to make a start on the silver work....
View attachment 44418

What are you going to use on that - I have seen some good results with rusty stuff when soaked in vinegar. Some classic car enthusiasts fill bins with the stuff to soak old parts in!

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Here's my progress on it tonight...
Bit of wd40and elbow grease.

IMG_8325.JPG

Gonna go at it again tomorrow, and all the other silver... Not heard of the vinegar way before.. Maybe worth a shot

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Forgot about this log!
Vinegar worked quite well; left soaking, and scrubbed. But then I forgot to bring the parts inside again and so they re-rusted..ha!

Just need some new mudguards; white wall tyres; chain and to put the chain guard thing on. And then I'll give everything a good scrub :smile:

IMG_8356.JPG

Top Bottom