Lake Garda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Triple3

hello all
I'm looking at holidaying in Italy next year with the young family and Lake Garda is taking my fancy. Has anyone been with children and can say if its a good choice ?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's lovely and hemmed in by hills. I think the west bank is nicest from memory.
I've been several times but the best with the kids was at a campsite in Toscolano Maderno.

robjh

Legendary Member
The most attractive parts are in the north, where the mountains come right down to the water, but the lakeside roads can be very busy.
However the southern shore around Desenzano and Peschiera looked pretty uninspiring when I was there - very flat and lined with massive campsites for kilometer after kilometer.

Have you considered the other lakes? I liked Lake Como, which is also surrounded by high hills but not quite as hemmed in as Garda. I also particularly like Lake Iseo - quite a lot smaller but also less crowded than the big ones.

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

The most attractive parts are in the north, where the mountains come right down to the water, but the lakeside roads can be very busy.
However the southern shore around Desenzano and Peschiera looked pretty uninspiring when I was there - very flat and lined with massive campsites for kilometer after kilometer.

Have you considered the other lakes? I liked Lake Como, which is also surrounded by high hills but not quite as hemmed in as Garda. I also particularly like Lake Iseo - quite a lot smaller but also less crowded than the big ones.

I have not looked at Lake Como so yes thats a good shout, I will look at that too. I would look at anywhere in Italy so long as it has water/beach for children.

I didnt like that bit much either - but it would be good with kids - themy park places and Peschieria would be reasonably interesting for a day - EV something or other goes south from there - traffic free and flatish - need to pick time to go - packed out in Italian and European hols - traffic along the lakeside roads can be unbelievable

Top Bottom