LAPTOP/3gb RAM/160gb H.Drive 2.0mhz Precessor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Now it has Vista Home Premium on it - its a Fujitsu_Siemens. Paid about 380 for it.

Keep it nice n clean etc...

What I'd like to know is: IF I put XP on it (taking vista off) would it go any faster, its not bad as it is, or isn't it worth it as XP will be relagated to the shelves soon.

:laugh:

ACS

Legendary Member
With 3 gb of RAM on board I doubt if downgrading to XP would get you a noticable increase in speed. Trim the services back on Vista (eg Sidebar) and you will see a some improvement.

I think XP will be around past the 2012 date given by the anti-christ. With the sudden uptake of netbook PC's interest in XP and its furture has again climbed to the top of the MS agenda of world domination.

If your OS is stable and the laptop is performing as you hoped why reinvent the wheel?

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Satan - recall having a 133 and on dial-up it was fast: seriously ! :laugh:

Then, BB came along and it was fast !!!! - ttttthhhhhhhheeeeeeeennnnnnnn EVERY bugger went on BB and it went sllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww !

:biggrin:

Juh notice that too B)

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
XP is only compatible with 2 gb of ram so there is not point. but what you could do is turn the hard drive into 2 partitions, then you can start up with XP or Vista

ACS

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
Do I detect a note of irony? :laugh:

Irony! I have kids who know more than the IT teachers, I have teachers who have brains the size of planets but cannot find the on button, management who think that their brilliant idea can be rolled out by Friday and the word ‘no’ is the one word they cannot hear.

ACS

Legendary Member
yenrod said:
Satan - recall having a 133 and on dial-up it was fast: seriously ! :rolleyes:

Then, BB came along and it was fast !!!! - ttttthhhhhhhheeeeeeeennnnnnnn EVERY bugger went on BB and it went sllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww !

:thumbsdown:

Juh notice that too :?:

Oh yes and then they wanted a leased line but did not want to pay the 24k per year, can you get us a super fast service for a 2k or so. No, so its back on the Finance mangers desk, funding is a non technical problem:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

derall

Guru
Sounds like a very similar spec to mine - I have the F/S Amilo 2735. I'm running Vista and I'm actually very happy with it. Boots to log-in in about 30 seconds, then a further 32 seconds to the fully loaded desktop. My old XP box took about four minutes to boot. My OS-X iMac took about three minutes to boot. I have no complaints about the speed of any apps, loading or running. I can't see why people complain about Vista. I do though have everything Vista turned off so that it acts like XP and looks like Windows Classic.

Get thee over to the How-To Geek and you can find clear instructions to trim out all the crud and have a good fast system.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

derall said:
Sounds like a very similar spec to mine - I have the F/S Amilo 2735. I'm running Vista and I'm actually very happy with it. Boots to log-in in about 30 seconds, then a further 32 seconds to the fully loaded desktop. My old XP box took about four minutes to boot. My OS-X iMac took about three minutes to boot. I have no complaints about the speed of any apps, loading or running. I can't see why people complain about Vista. I do though have everything Vista turned off so that it acts like XP and looks like Windows Classic.

Get thee over to the How-To Geek and you can find clear instructions to trim out all the crud and have a good fast system.

Yeah sounds - very similiar - i got mine from Tesco's.

Dont have anything running whatsoever other than what needs to be running sidebar and the likes = total waste.

Hairy Jock said:
Window 7? Anyone?;)

Why, whats windows 7 - does this mean most of us are on '6' :?

Simply disable the "user controls" on Vista and things get a lot better.

What I found frustrating was being unable to run things like "SpyBot" because Vista would not allow it!

Top Bottom