Laughing at stupid foreigners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I came across this post on a business travel forum and just had to share it with you:

"A good ten years ago, I was flying Luftie First from IAH to FRA. A well-dressed elderly American couple started up a conversation with the purser, who had asked them where in Germany they were heading.

Man: Well last year we went to Hamburg and Munich. This year we're going to Berlin and Munchen.
Purser: Aaaah, so you really enjoy Munchen, how nice. That is the birth city of my mother.
Man: Well, we're looking forward to seeing it for the first time.
Purser: But sir, you know Munchen is German for Munich.
Man (to wife): I thought it looked a bit familiar in the book, honey. Oh darn it all, we've done it again!
Purser: Sir, don't worry. We are delighted to be welcoming back to Germany. Now, for today's service, we are able to offer you caviar with all the trimmings. Would you care for it?
Man: Cavier (sic), what's that?
Purser: You know, fish eggs
Man: Oh, okay...I'll have two!

We didn't see the purser for a good ten minutes afterwards, no doubt he was unable to keep a straight face. There sure were a lot of crew who passed through the F cabin looking at these two passengers shortly afterwards, as well!!"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Once, when I was one of Teh Forenz, I may have sat on a train in Firenze station waiting for it to go on to Florence.

Shaun

Founder
I expect the French restaurant owner in Paris had a good laugh at me after I unwittingly eschewed the petit dejeuner in favour of lunch and ended up paying £80 for me and the wife for two courses and a single glass of wine each!

Tasty? - yes, very, couldn't fault it. Within our weekend buget? - no, most definitely not!! :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Half a kilo of tenderness" a "friend" asked a Spanish butcher, attempting to buy veal. (ternura /ternera, an easy mistake):rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A few years back I had a couple of hours between meetings in Paris so I jumped on the Metro and headed for "Le Grande Arche"...

...I was gutted when I got to street level and discovered that L'Arc de Triomphe and Le Grande Arche are entirely different things :blush:
Just glad I got up top for the view when you still could.

MarkF

Guru
Munchen? My mother was told, by a High St travel agent, that her flight was landing in Munsh. ^_^

Listened to a Brit telling a police officer in Seville nick, that he was "a church", easy done I suppose......................

Speicher

Vice Admiral
In Switzerland, I once asked for a train ticket to Brig. So I pronounced it Brig. Much confusion ensued, then the ticket person said "Oh Breeeeeeeeeeg." :scratch:

A corridor train in Austria does not have corridors. You will pay a surcharge on a slow corridor train, as opposed to a fast corridor train. You may have to commence your journey by going in the opposite direction to your intended destination, if you wish to use a corridor train.

Furthermore do not rely on the Tourist Information staff (in the town you are travelling from) to be aware of these unexpected possibilities. Be aware that you could get ordered off the train by the Ticket Inspector. This may result in you missing your flight.

DNAMHIKT

Last edited:
Top Bottom