Lausanne: Whats it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Whats it like around Lausanne? Im off there in the summer and want to know how hilly it is?
Basicly, is it really steep that i will need gears, or can i just gear down the fixed and use that?
I can gear it down to 61 or 58".
My idea was to take with me my chainwhip, and take off my normal sprocket and put on a bigger sprocket so i get a smaller gear to use around there, then just put a bigger sprocket back on for normal. Or have 58" on one side and 61" on the other to use for going up/going down, then put the bigger gears on when i get back out of there.
Is it going to be too steep around there for this, or not bad? Bearing in mind i go around Derbyshire on the 72" fixed(not huge long steep hills though)

So is Lausanne got some really steep hills or not? Am i going to have to go back to gears ;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oh it's steep!!!! Well steep. Bring on those gears!!

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Dayvo said:
Holland should suit you.

Or Denmark. :thumbsdown:

;)
Ive been to Holland, its boringly flat, the drivers stress when you ride on the road when theres a cycle path, if you ride on the cycle paths you can get caught up behind some cyclists, mopeds annoy me.
Not been to Denmark yet i think, only been through it.
I looked on the internet and it seems theres just long uphill roads rather then windy steep things

montage

God Almighty
Joe24 said:
Thats just made me cry :tongue:
Im going to Wales soon near Snowdonia with my 72" fixed, that might be fun:wacko:

Lovely to cycle there, I did a week hiking/youth hostelling there with a mate .... it was halfway through the first day when I said "oh shoot, have you got a compass" .....the answer was no ....oops. (Luckily I know a few shifty tricks such as using an anologue watch as a very effective compass :tongue: )

OP
OP
J

Joe24

montage said:
Lovely to cycle there, I did a week hiking/youth hostelling there with a mate .... it was halfway through the first day when I said "oh shoot, have you got a compass" .....the answer was no ....oops. (Luckily I know a few shifty tricks such as using an anologue watch as a very effective compass :tongue: )

Ive watched Ray Mears, i know what to do aswell;)
So is it actually really hilly there, or is it not so bad?

montage

God Almighty
Joe24 said:
Ive watched Ray Mears, i know what to do aswell;)
So is it actually really hilly there, or is it not so bad?

Well I was hiking cross country...but snowdonia is very hilly....but I wouldn't say it is "bad". I am sure you can avoid the huge hills if you plan your routes etc. Ray Mears told the world that little gem of a secret? Damn him! I loved showing off with little things like that.

My youth hostelling was from bangor, round trip around snowdonia (including snowdon of course) then back to bangor. Where abouts are you staying?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

montage said:
Well I was hiking cross country...but snowdonia is very hilly....but I wouldn't say it is "bad". I am sure you can avoid the huge hills if you plan your routes etc. Ray Mears told the world that little gem of a secret? Damn him! I loved showing off with little things like that.

My youth hostelling was from bangor, round trip around snowdonia (including snowdon of course) then back to bangor. Where abouts are you staying?

Im not too sure.
Im up for doing some big bastards of a hill though on it to see how i get on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Joe24 said:
Thats just made me cry :tongue:
Im going to Wales soon near Snowdonia with my 72" fixed, that might be fun:wacko:

Not a good idea....... you'll need the full range fella - you ain't getting up Llanberris Pass on a 72", nor down the 60 MPH descent into Betsw-y-Coed..... and it's flippin windy........

Take a geared bike..to Wales and France...you'll be guaranteed to have more fun.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

fossyant said:
Not a good idea....... you'll need the full range fella - you ain't getting up Llanberris Pass on a 72", nor down the 60 MPH descent into Betsw-y-Coed..... and it's flippin windy........

Take a geared bike..to Wales and France...you'll be guaranteed to have more fun.

Not a chance of me taking one to wales.
I can always gear down to in the 60"s if i need to.
To Switzerland im thinking about just gearing down alot, but i think i may need my geared bike for that:sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've been to Lausanne and it's flat, flat, flat. A lot of Switzerland is flat and the rest is downhill. You'll be fine with no gears at all.

Top Bottom