Layin' down the Funk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have to say, this isn't my usual choice of choon, but the odd dash of serious funk always brings a smile to my face. :angry:

Cranky

At last we get down to the funk!

Here's a party I wish I'd been at. Well, I did see him live at Mercia Sporting Club, Coventry in 1988 - still haven't quite got over it!

Junior Walker was my mentor as a musician and sax player. RIP.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good calls guys.
Seems Funk is not a hugely popular genre in itself. :blush: ( Jazz seems to get much the same response).

Hey-ho, not everybody can have taste ;)

Hey Cranky, I'm still learning how to work the Saxaphone, wish I dedicate more time to it, but I'm having fun!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sly & Family Stone... ;)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVOR28iG_o&feature=related

Here's another of my faves... East River, Brecker Brothers.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7l1zjp_wb4

and let's not forget James Brown:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89xJPi2U_Q&feature=related

Now I'm gon' get the funk outta here :blush:

Cranky

Fab Foodie said:
Good calls guys.
Seems Funk is not a hugely popular genre in itself. :sad: ( Jazz seems to get much the same response).

Hey-ho, not everybody can have taste :tongue:

Hey Cranky, I'm still learning how to work the Saxaphone, wish I dedicate more time to it, but I'm having fun!

Alto or tenor, FF, or one of the more exotic? (It's saxophone, by the way :biggrin:). I've played the damned things for 36 years and am still learning.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cranky said:
Alto or tenor, FF, or one of the more exotic? (It's saxophone, by the way :smile:). I've played the damned things for 36 years and am still learning.
Ooops... spelling, thanks ;)

Alto, been playing for about 9 months since my daughter quit.
Working through a book called 'Big Jazz Hits' (along with other stuff my teacher brings). Loving-it, not interested in grades, just making tunes!

Playing stuff at the mo like, Misty, Anthropology, Ain't mis-behavin', Petite Fleur, Four, Oop Bop Sh-Bam. On a good day it seems quite good, other days I just can't get it to work at all Practice makes perfect though, no doubt.
Any tips for a rank novice?

Cranky

Fab Foodie said:
Ooops... spelling, thanks ;)

Alto, been playing for about 9 months since my daughter quit.
Working through a book called 'Big Jazz Hits' (along with other stuff my teacher brings). Loving-it, not interested in grades, just making tunes!

Playing stuff at the mo like, Misty, Anthropology, Ain't mis-behavin', Petite Fleur, Four, Oop Bop Sh-Bam. On a good day it seems quite good, other days I just can't get it to work at all Practice makes perfect though, no doubt.
Any tips for a rank novice?

Well, you've already done the first thing right and that's to find a good teacher. Otherwise I'd suggest that, after warming up, you always start practising the material and exercises you find most difficult, do them slowly, and then work towards the easier stuff at the end. Also it's a good idea to record yourself occasionally and listen back - that will make many areas you need to improve obvious. Be particularly careful about tuning on the sax.

Have fun!

Top Bottom